How important is communication skill in a core developer job?

Hey all,

I just came across some job notifications for the post of software developer asking for excellent communication skills. Just wanted to know your views on how important is it for a person working in development domain to be "excellent" in communication?

Replies

• aarthivg
    aarthivg
    I Think, communication skill is not only important for core developer job. Group discussion and personnel interview is conducted to test his/her communication skills.
    Talking about its importance, "Speak and listen effectively, sharing our own ideas and working in a group"
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    aarthivg
    I Think, communication skill is not only important for core developer job. Group discussion and personnel interview is conducted to test his/her communication skills.
    Talking about its importance, "Speak and listen effectively, sharing our own ideas and working in a group"
    Yes that's something that can be managed with a satisfactory communication skill isn't it? I was just unsure about demanding Excellent communication skills in a core development job
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    What I think by excellent communication skills is the ability to negotiate ,to manage to get your points convinced by others no matter whether they are right or wrong and how effectively you would handle clients and how you would get your work done smoothly in adverse situations .
    And this won't apply only to development jobs but also to other fields too.
    Believe it or not communication skills are needed for every job and an excellent one would do wonders not only for the person alone but also to the whole organisation πŸ˜€
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    Somethings are better understood if you actually implement them and see the results.πŸ˜€
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Nick_Sharma
    Hey all,

I just came across some job notifications for the post of software developer asking for excellent communication skills. Just wanted to know your views on how important is it for a person working in development domain to be "excellent" in communication?
    Communication Skills are essential for developers, particularly if they are going to work on a bigger project that involves a number of other people/developers. They should be able to communicate with each other clearly and should be able to convince others of how they think that this particular solution is bestπŸ˜€ .

Knowing the best solution doesn't counts if u cannot convince your boss of that πŸ˜‰.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well communication is not the way you speak It is the confidence with which you share out your views and ideas to others without any fear

If you are fearful you will never rely on your suggestion and voice it out and become more like a tanjore doll of some self confident Counterpart

Communication need not be high language always timely statements that can really boost the thinking of the team mates is always a boon
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Excellent communication skills is imperative if you're working with Foreigners (all English speaking countries). That's the only way you can work with them comfortably in a team.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    In today's world you will always find "Excellent Communication" as one of the requirement in most of the standard jobs profile.

Communication skills is the one thing that gives you upper hand with the fellow compitators. and if you are looking for software jobs where you may need to deal in all English environment communication becomes a very important aspect of your skill set.

Believe me, I have seen some folks with excellent technical skills got rejected because of exceptionally bad communication.

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, communication is typically thought of as ability to speak fluently. But it goes way beyond it. It all boils down to how effective you are in communicating your thoughts ( questions, ideas, message, doubts and so on). It also is about how effectively you can 'receive' information! So the flow is both ways, not one way!

An important aspect which is often missed in communication skills is the 'clarity of thoughts'. I think it's the first step and all the other things follow.

As long as you are an active and effective component of any communication - you will need communication skills.

It's a basic must for any human.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Nokia Lumia 510 has undergone a major price slash in India and is available online at a price as low as Rs. 6200. The specifications of Nokia Lumia 510 are...
There is a post in CE that shows how HyQ quadruped robot was able to walk freely: https://www.crazyengineers.com/threa...f-technology-iit-hyq-robot.54324/#post-218685 Now, the same robot has been incorporated with reflex feature that allows...
Why not have an 'unofficial' discussion thread for CEoM August 2013? πŸ˜€ . I see that this month's CEoM is going to be very special. Unlike last time, I don't...
I have been reading about Big Data technologies off late and gathered that Big data is the need of the hour because of the growing size of data and RDBMS's...
i am undergoing 6 month industrial training in java..and i feel somewhere my oops concepts are still weak..should i do a c++ course along with it?? i think i'll mix...