How important are team events ?

I might sound a little out of herd, but I am not for for team events during official working hours. But there is a constant enphasis made that participation in team events is needed. Though i feel, they should not be during working hours -given the fact that we work for 8 hrs and anything 'team-xxx' consumes more than 2-3 hours of these 8 hours, which is an absolute no-no.

So how many of you think participation in team events during work hours is important to build client - vendor relationship?

P.S: i am writing this when my team is away for a 3 hour lunch break

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What kind of team events are you talking about? In my opinion, meetings, events, training sessions conducted during work hours are huge bombs to destroy employee productivity. But if the team events are driven by management or the client; you have no option.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I think participation in team events is quite important.whenever there occurs any cultural or technical fest in my college,team work plays an important role .we learn to appreciate others idea's .

If i take working hours in office then yes it is important since it enhances friendly environment in office.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    .. training, meetings (striclty relevant ones only) is still OK if it contributes to improvise work. Team events in this context are -BBQ, lunches ,farewell parties, birthday events, outings etc and yes, they are driven by management and its tough not to oblige each time a invite pops up.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    durga
    .. training, meetings (striclty relevant ones only) is still OK if it contributes to improvise work. Team events in this context are -BBQ, lunches ,farewell parties, birthday events, outings etc and yes, they are driven by management and its tough not to oblige each time a invite pops up.
    Well, I agree. I believe in what Apple Cofounder Steve Wozniak says, "Engineers can be at their best when they work alone, not with team."
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    TEAM WORK:An awesome time you can have while working provided you get a nice team.Else it may be a little difficult to cope with.Anyways with team work you come to learn a lot more than the individual one's work.There may be few instances where only working alone will work out.In that case team work may not be good.It depends!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    😀

@ Goyal: friendly environment will not help reduce the issues, it only helps in sustaining one :-|. If there is a serious ongoing issue- do you expect whole team to work together??? I really don't see that- everyone has their responsibility to discharged. Team events in college cannot be compared to those at work. Work has deadlines to be met and anything which crosses a specific deadline is not good. No one will later ask you " how many hours did you spend in team events..? you can delay delivery for that long"
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I agree. It's waste of time. I probably guess that most companies wont allow you people to waste your time. Here, they are allowing you for parties and all. Do they never thought about their work?

Is it compulsory to attend those invites ?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Team events are for spending the funds allocated to the teams and nothing else!
    Have you guys observed few things, In a team of 10 or some number you will have some close friends , so even if you go for lunch or outing etc etc , you will be with them to talk the same crap you talk in tea breaks!
    There is nothing in team events to build relationships! Its just because to spend some money and an opportunity for us to have food at very good restaurants which we generally cant afford!

If there are issues , we call up for a good meeting and then we solve those issues , there we discuss only work and we donot waste time!
    So as per me team events are just crap! crap!!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I guess the consensus is having team events during office hours is a waste. Though during non-office hours, I would like to have inter-departmental competitive team events once in a while! 😛

I see some mentioning about effectiveness of engineers working individually or as a team. This is probably worth a separate discussion, though I think how an engineer works is purely depends on personal preferences and nature of work.
  • Tom Travel
    Tom Travel
    #-Link-Snipped-# I agree that spending business hours for team events or even for planning one, can be a real bother for engineers at work. That said, BBQ, lunches ,farewell parties, birthday events, outings are still very much desired if only the planning/execution of team events could be outsourced or managed by a dedicated team.
    However in most companies, managing their own team events is just as much an issue as #-Link-Snipped-# mentioned about hosting team events during work hours.
  • Charan V
    Charan V
    There is something called 'timing' for everything. Team events are good after a project release or start of festive season, it means celebration. Team events shouldn't become habit, individuality must be respected in all way for the company to survive

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In following video, Facebook's COO says that since teenagers don't use email, email will die in next few years. Or do you think email is here to stay for at...
Can anyone tell me the sites where i can download CAD/CAM Softwares for free
Dank (adj) Meaning: damp,cold and unpleasant Use: The kitchen was dank and cheerless. Syn: chilly,dewy,humid,moist😁
Meaning: Harsh, Jarring sound It is a Noun. Usage: I heard a cacophony of horns in the Traffic Jam.
Meaning: Place where animals are slaughtered (for food) It is a Noun. Usage: I saw an abattoir on the journey to that small village.