How Graphics Were Added in Old-school 8-bit/16-bit Games ?

So, suddenly I don't know what happened to me, I am very much attracted to 8-bit games & 16-bit sega games. i want them in Raspberry Pi.

A question popped in my mind : Back then, when there were no IDE ,no OpenGL . How did they created game & added graphics using ASM ? I mean did they used only ASM for entire game ?
Which method did the developers used in old times to develop 8-bit/16-bit games ?

Eager to know.

Replies

• Apurwa.Thakur
    Apurwa.Thakur
    Abhishek Rawal
    when there were no IDE ,no OpenGL .
    What about gedit ?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Apurwa.Thakur
    What about gedit ?
    I don't think there was gedit in 1980's, was it available at that time ? ๐Ÿ˜จ
  • Apurwa.Thakur
    Apurwa.Thakur
    Abhishek Rawal
    I don't think there was gedit in 1980's, was it available at that time ? ๐Ÿ˜จ
    Oohh!i didn't get you are talking about initial time.i haven't much knowledge About programming language.but during the time you are talking about

1.1952-dogle created first graphical computer game was programmed on a EDSAC vaccuum-tube computer, which had a cathode ray tube display.

2.after that a MIT PDP-1 mainframe computer programming used in space war.

this link might help you
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Apurwa.Thakur
    Apurwa.Thakur
    Apurwa.Thakur
    Oohh!i didn't get you are talking about initial time.i haven't much knowledge About programming language.but during the time you are talking about

1.1952-dogle created first graphical computer game was programmed on a EDSAC vaccuum-tube computer, which had a cathode ray tube display.

2.after that a MIT PDP-1 mainframe computer programming used in space war.
    this link might help you
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Abhishek Rawal
    So, suddenly I don't know what happened to me, I am very much attracted to 8-bit games & 16-bit sega games. i want them in Raspberry Pi.

A question popped in my mind : Back then, when there were no IDE ,no OpenGL . How did they created game & added graphics using ASM ? I mean did they used only ASM for entire game ?
    Which method did the developers used in old times to develop 8-bit/16-bit games ?

Eager to know.
    From what I can remember, in ASM u can use two modes for displaying data on the screen, ie Text mode and Graphics mode .
    There were instructions (specifically interrupts) to change from text mode to graphics mode, the resolutions were limited of course ๐Ÿ˜€.
    Using the instructions games could be developed, but the development was of course difficult and time consuming, and the games were simple.
    Then we come to 16 bit when C was popular choice for development. If u have used Turbo C , you may know there is a set of graphics libraries to work in graphical mode.
    And the games were better than those in 8 bit era.
    Hope this answer some part of ur question ๐Ÿ‘
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    rahul69
    There were instructions (specifically interrupts) to change from text mode to graphics mode, the resolutions were limited of course ๐Ÿ˜€.
    I am reading Assembly language programming by Duntemann & I didn't came up with any theories about any instruction which converts texts into graphics. Am I missing something ?

Bit off-topic, but please suggest me a nice book for Programming Game using Assembly language which can solve all my confusions.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Abhishek Rawal
    I am reading Assembly language programming by Duntemann & I didn't came up with any theories about any instruction which converts texts into graphics. Am I missing something ?

Bit off-topic, but please suggest me a nice book for Programming Game using Assembly language which can solve all my confusions.
    I studied a little bit about this from my professor once (for fun, in free time) so doesn't know any good books about it, however I searched a bit and found two tutorials which may get u started, check these out:
    Atrevida Tutorial 7: Introduction to VGA . . . Mode 13h
    Assembler for Dummies
    ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    You might find #-Link-Snipped-# to sprites useful.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

for some companies there is a video synthesis test. a movie clipping will be given and we have to write a few points about the clipping. Many students (even highly...
hi there what is the difference between OFDM and COFDM and IOFDM ? I searched the Internet and found out that COFDM comes from Coded OFDM that is because of...
While I was surfing the net I accidently stumbled on the following website: www.engineeringdaily.net/top-10-remarkable-engineers-of-all-time/ describing the top ten engineers ever.The list compromises Many leading and pioneered engineers.Do you agree the...
India Yamaha Motor declared on Saturday that it will be pulling back 56,082 units of 'Ray' scooter, which was launched last year.The company has cited the reason to be a...
I just stumble upon this product listed in Flipkart mobile accessory. Retro headset Why the hell one should not buy a nice wired headset with same money. Some claim that...