How Facebook, MySpace and YouTube Killed eBay

[​IMG] On Monday afternoon, I was speaking on a panel at the Social Graph Symposium when the moderator asked me what eBay could do to revitalize its marketplace by leveraging the social graph. Dave McClure, like many pundits, presumes the social graph could be a great boost for eBay, if not an outright panacea. I replied, “nothing.” It’s actually the social graph and similar products that have placed a stake in eBay.com. Most often, people blame eBay’s decay on factors like the weakening economy, the #-Link-Snipped-#, as well as eBay’s own inefficient search functionality. But the real and simple reason is eBay is no longer fun. Over the years, it has lost online ground and eyeballs to pure entertainment destinations such as YouTube and social networking sites like MySpace and Facebook.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Black_Rose
    Black_Rose
    Hmm well that's true. Then again, I don't log on to Ebay as much purely because I don't have as much money as I used to.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I don't think they killed eBay. Firstly, eBay is mainly an e-commerce website, not a place of entertainment like YouTube or a social arena like Facebook. Granted, there used to be times where people want to see what ridiculous items people are bidding for, but the primary target for eBay is for selling and buying goods through a unified interface.

eBay is one of the best places to get cheap or hard to find merchandise around the world. It is especially useful for engineers to get components or equipment.. new or used!
  • Black_Rose
    Black_Rose
    ^^ Ash I meant it's true for me. I used to spend more time on Ebay, these days I go on maybe once a month? And only then when I need something, there was a time I was signed on for 24/7 on my ebay account :?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Sorry, I was responding to the article 😛
  • gohm
    gohm
    I totally agree with Ash (scary how frequently that happens, laugh) don't know why one would even consider it a social site?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Gohm, are you saying mechies and techies are not supposed to agree with each other in general? 😛

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi.... friends. I need the information about 'Industrial applications of stepper motor' for my project named 'PC Based Remote Control of Stepper Motor'.Can anybody help me.
During her KYCEan interview, CEan Durga mentioned that she would like something like "How Stuff Works" on CE. The idea sounded good and I have decided to write the first...
I'll use this opportunity and ask about programming in C/C++ under Linux. I've just popped in Fedora 10 in my PC, and I'm wondering how can I make C/C++ applications...
Well here are some snaps I took today at the race. Was excited to also ride along in the ffr cobra! 05/23/09 cdc ax bowie - a set on Flickr
Hi CE😛 In this thread we talk about reuse of bik or its componant. Evey year so many bike are going in trush or it will take a corner of...