How does VoIP Work?

can anyone tell me How this VoIP works? How we are able to call through IP address

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    VoIP as you know, is VoIP Over Internet Protocol, saying that- we can safely say that- its not much different from normal data which flows in internet. The voice (which is analog) is converted into digital format and put into data packets and sent across internet. Unlike analog telephony VoIP telephony is packet based ( that's obvious).But there is a difference in protocols used for VoIP.
    VoIP signalling is mainly done through SIP ( session initiation protocol) and normal data transfer is done through RTP . SIP is not the only signalling protocol used though, it is mainly a session initiation protocol and does the dynamic maintenance while the call is ongoing.Since,most of the computers don't have a static IP address when connected to internet and since many of them use Firewalls- it rather becomes a norm to employ a mediation server. Hence, there is something called as a SIP server or a location server which has the existing mapping of the user name/phone number mapping with the current IP address mapping with the user name .For this, the users needs to be registered. for this purpose the users are registered as say #-Link-Snipped-#.
    When ever user initiates a call to another VoIP user, the call is first directed to a location server which locates where the existing end customer is located along with the Ip address and starts forwarding the data packets. It constantly updates any changes in the IP address as well with associated user name.
    As you know, this is more of a over view. Internet has quite a few resources where you can refer to.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Just to add to Durga's explanation, the main protocols used in VoIP these days are SIP and H.323 (see comparison here: #-Link-Snipped-#). In addition to these protocols are codecs used, each with their own uses. The G.711 codec is used for high quality calls but require more bandwidth, while the G.729 codec requires much less bandwidth though quality is degraded somewhat.

You can also use a normal telephone for VoIP calls, provided a ATA device is used. Once it is configured remotely (via it's IP address), it can be used standalone.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    ash
    You can also use a normal telephone for VoIP calls, provided a ATA device is used. Once it is configured remotely (via it's IP address), it can be used standalone.
    can you please explain how this can be done

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

People at 9to5 have found that iPhone's next version will support Video Chat - one of the most wanted features on iPhone. Take a look: Video Chat Moderators, Chat Room,...
Hi, I am interested in doing MS in Image processing.Would that be a good choice given my degree and work exp. ? I have done a BE in electronics and...
i am saranya , doing 1st year cse, how to present a paper, what are the things to be followed while presenting a paper, please suggest me, how to choose...
hi... i hav selected a topic for doin miniproject and it is skindetection using c....but i need to learn about files in c language...so any suggest me the books for...
can anybody explain about the model view controller in Java with example.,? it is so confused for me..I referred sun blueprints but it is not so clear. Model ; it...