How does the sun cause heat on our bodies?

Hello,

I felt this question relates a lot of radiative heat transfer and hence i'm posting it here. Actually came up during the moonlit night yesterday. It was disturbing my pillow ๐Ÿ˜›

When the sun shines... as far as i can think there may be 2 ways by which it produces heat.

1. The sun rays are a source of infrared radiation. Is that causing the heating up of our skin ?
2.The photons from the sun light hit out skin and friction between our body atoms and those from photons cause heat to be generated.

which of this applies?

Also contrary to this..
If light from the sun could make warmth. Why is light from the moon causing a cooler atmosphere?
One possible explanation is that when we see a moon lit night.. it is usually cloudless and cloud act as insulator trapping the heat from the earth's surface. So, is this the real reason why cloudless and moonlit nights tend to be cooler than the cloudy nights where the moon isn't so much visible and the clouds tend to gather all the heat and insulate the atmosphere.?

Is the reflected light from moon also a source of infrared radiation ?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The Observer
    Also contrary to this..
    If light from the sun could make warmth. Why is light from the moon causing a cooler atmosphere?

Is the reflected light from moon also a source of infrared radiation ?
    Moon's light There is nothing called moon's light It is just Sun light reflected
    When Sun energy hits moon The moon gets energized and so it glows and that is why we are able to see it in the night sky

Any Media excited by IR radiation is a source of IR raditaion i.e All Hot bodies can produce IR radiation
  • The Observer
    The Observer
    so you mean the light reflected by the moon is of such less intensity that it doesn't have enough IR radiation with it for producing some warmth us on earth ๐Ÿ˜” ?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The Observer
    so you mean the light reflected by the moon is of such less intensity that it doesn't have enough IR radiation with it for producing some warmth us on earth ๐Ÿ˜” ?
    Cent percent

Just imagine this allegory put your hand into fire it can burn your skin really well In the case of a vessel just kept on the flame you can touch the vessel without much change

That is the case here too

Moon reflects sufficient IR needed to sustain the life during the better half of the day
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Apart from light source there are two more factor come with sun light/
    Ultra-violet rays + infrared.

Ultra-violet makes sun rays hotter and is main reason of sunburn, basically because it is causes ionization.
    Reason is having more energy electron at higher frequency 8*1014 to 3*1016 Hz. while visible light frequency ranges from 4*1014 Hz to 8*1014 Hz.

See here: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • The Observer
    The Observer
    ianoop
    Apart from light source there are two more factor come with sun light/
    Ultra-violet rays + infrared.

Ultra-violet makes sun rays hotter and is main reason of sunburn, basically because it is causes ionization.
    Reason is having more energy electron at higher frequency 8*1014 to 3*1016 Hz. while visible light frequency ranges from 4*1014 Hz to 8*1014 Hz.

See here: #-Link-Snipped-#
    but light is considered to be of photons right?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Yes, light consist photon but sun rays consist radiation too which is not visible via necked eyes.
    Ultra voilet + infrared. Thank to Ozon layer which absorbs most of the uv rays.

Try Halogen bulb ๐Ÿ˜€
  • The Observer
    The Observer
    ianoop
    Yes, light consist photon but sun rays consist radiation too which is not visible via necked eyes.
    Ultra voilet + infrared. Thank to Ozon layer which absorbs most of the uv rays.

Try Halogen bulb ๐Ÿ˜€
    oh. yes. now that fits the theory well . thanks.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Sunlight intensity on earth surface - 100,000 lux
    Moonlight intensity on earth surface - 0.2 lux
    This should explain all.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    True, but if you observe sunlight feels like an arrow when you are near to equator. Because it less reflected through air.

Ok, how many of us, here, believe that sun intensity also depends on earth and sun distance?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    ianoop
    Ok, how many of us, here, believe that sun intensity also depends on earth and sun distance?
    I believe and I am sure all will believe

That is one of the reasons why winter day are more pleasant in Chennai,India When compared to Day time during the month of May

Such a small variation in distance has resulted in nearly 10 degree drop in temperature

PS: Temperature is a measure of heat falling on the surface right?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    There is no great difference in distance between winter and summer. The angle of incidence changes. The intensity at any angle = intensity at normal incidence x cos(angle of incidence)
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Jeffrey Samuel
    I believe and I am sure all will believe

That is one of the reasons why winter day are more pleasant in Chennai,India When compared to Day time during the month of May

Such a small variation in distance has resulted in nearly 10 degree drop in temperature

PS: Temperature is a measure of heat falling on the surface right?
    So, sun is farthest when it's winter?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    My understanding here is , we sweat and we feel our bodies heated when exposed to sun because 70% of the body is made up of water.

And because of the suns heat, we feel our bodies heated.

I think, this is the reason we should wear pressurized suits if we are above the amstrong's limit as water boils not at 100C but at much less temperature.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Just hopped across this SpaceX's Grasshopper video which made another feat this month. Is it good (or i would prefer the word feasible to introduce re-usable / balanced re-entry rocket...
This is an amazing feat by an Indian who has seen more and experienced more than any of us here. Around The World On a Motorcycle: An Indian Does It...
WHY SOMETIMES WE GIVING CHOCK TO VEHICLE
Apple's new event will take place at 10 AM Pacific at Yerba Buena Center for arts in San Francisco, California. The even is expected to see the public release of...
There are several parameters which each and every component depend on. It is the sole duty of every Electronics engineer to understand his need and find a component that best...