How does the security Device which generate unique number everytime work??

Guys,

I have seen a security device which provides connection for someother system in a secured way.

The secured was is Provide userID and Password.

Along with the process we have to enter a number which keeps on changing for authentication purpose.

How does this system work??

The userID and Password are saved in database!!

But how this number system work for a login??

Please explain 😀

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Re: How does the security Device which generates unique number everytime work??

I have searched some articles and found the same answer.

It generates a random number , this is the key to login.

It expires after certain period of time.

I thought for a conclusion saying all the numbers will be in the database associated with one account.

If thats the case then any number should work since it will be in database.

Or else,

Do they have any program which generates a new key depending upon the date and time and time zone where the user is actually located in?

So I came to a conclusion like they install a program in the device and at their back end where it runs according to the timing?

So do they have different programs for different users is my next doubt , If yes do they change some * or + operations or much more ??
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    may be its a numberial combination of user ID ans password?

and may be after few permutations and combinations the passowrds might repeat! who knows??

any examples of the security system you are talking about?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Consider the HSBC internet security device.

The person holding it has a userid and password and security login.

I saw few devices in our previous organization with the same behaviour for VPN login.

They use the userID and Password and the security number.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I think, random generation in case of VPN is combination of numbers and alphabets .
    There can be a standard key generation mechanism like in case of Wireless access, WPA, WEP functions are used for generation of random passkets.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Can you be a bit elaborate ?

Or else can you provide me some links regarding this??

I didnt understood it clearly 😔
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I see,

IN WEP( wired equivalent Privacy)( this is now obsolete- just an example though)
    you have three parameters to generate a authentication key
    1. Initialisation vector
    2.key
    3. a normal text pass phrase ( mostly entered by users as users)

Intialisation vector and key give rise to a code and this code is later applied to your code passkey to give rise to a new encrypted key which can be used by your computer and accessing routers.

See the example below. That was the router login page of my netgear router and ofcourse I have manually encrypted the password as x x x x 😁

[​IMG]

as can be seen,
    I select the security option and then security encryption strenght ( 64 bits - 1.WEP 40 key and 2.24 IV key)
    I again enter my passphrase ( 3.the normal text) and click generate.

Then a complete encryption key is generated.

This is one example I can give you. This method is any ways obsolete now as the 24 bit key will keep repeating after few packets and thus can be hacked easily.

You can refer to WPA here:#-Link-Snipped-#
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    this might help
    #-Link-Snipped-#

and this
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

[FONT="]Does anyone know when exactly the HAMP guide will launch? I just read an article that it is suppose to come out soon but when? People in my locality including...
we want to build a witricity circuit. will you please suggest us a circuit and components.Frequency 15MHz.Distance of separation of coils 75cm. Efficiency 45%.Load 220/60W.230v,50Hz supply.thanks in advance
please put some information about FTP,its working and how it can be properly used.and the areas where it is being used. Thanks in advance.😀
General Dynamics UK and Bubblephone demonstrate transformational networking technology on Bowman C-THRU maintains solid connections in conditions where communication impossible, offering potential to save lives and cut costs. LONDON, United...
hello... I am little bit curious to know about the mechanism in which a manual bot can collect balls placed at different positions inside a water tank.... please can anyone...