How does recovery disc work?

Can anyone throw some light on how does recovery disc works coz if we have deleted data from our Computer then howz its possible to recover the same?

It means data do exist on Computer although if we delete it..isn't it??

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Re: Hoe does recovery disc work?

Neha
    Can anyone throw some light on how does recovery disc works coz if we have deleted data from our Computer then howz its possible to recover the same?

It means data do exist on Computer although if we delete it..isn't it??
    I'm afraid, I might be wrong. But here's what I've learned -

When you delete a software from your hard disk, only the address is wiped out from the disk. That is, the software files are still on your hard drive. A recovery disk might just restore the address of those file and you get access to your 'deleted' files.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

-The Big K-
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx

Thats correct, google some good data recovery apps. I was amazed when I just ran one for fun! I uncovered age old files!! some even 4 years old 😀

Its all user friendly too. But remember, if you have used an advance app to explicitly "erase" the ffiles then there is no possible way to retrieve them.
  • Neha
    Neha
    Thanks to Jerry's FAT and NTFS thread, I found this in Google:

This is what that happens when you intentionally delete a file and why it may be possible to bring that file back. When you select a file and press the delete key on a Windows computer the file is sent to the Recycle Bin. You may think of the Windows Recycle Bin as just another fancy storage folder on your hard drive. The 'real' deletion (at least as far as this article is concerned) is what happens when the Recycle Bin is emptied or the deletion bypasses the Windows Recycle Bin altogether.
    When a file is deleted the Operating System marks the file name in the MFT(MAster File Table) with a special character that signifies to the computer that the file has been deleted. The computer now looks at the clusters occupied by that file as being empty and therefore available space to store a new file. What the Windows Operating System does NOT do is go out to the clusters on the hard disk where the files data is actually stored and wipe the contents of these clusters. The deleted file data is still there, but the Computer Operating System no longer knows it exists.
    This in fact is the underlying principal of data recovery. It is about finding data that still exists on the hard drive but which currently can't be located by the Operating System. If the clusters containing the data have are, corrupted or physically damaged, then recovering the data they once contained is impossible.
    Ok, so my data is still there, but for how long? The answer to this question is completely up to you. The only way that your deleted MFT record or your file data itself will permanently be destroyed is if it is overwritten by other data. This means that any computer activity after the deletion has the potential to permanently erase otherwise recoverable files.
  • desijays
    desijays
    whatever neha said is true to a certain extent in linux as well. In linux there is actually a provision for flagging files which are deletable and undeletable via an attribute. Such files cannot be deleted nor over written. However they can be appended to...

by the way, isnt the title supposed to be 'how does recovery software work?' rather than 'how does recovery disc work?' no offence to anyone. Just thought i'll point that out.
  • desijays
    desijays

xheavenlyx
    I was amazed when I just ran one for fun! I uncovered age old files!! some even 4 years old 😀
    It proves one thing. Our friend 'heavenly' rarely uses the hard disk on which he found the file he deleted 4 years ago.

Cos, if he had been using that hard disk regularly, the OS would have over written that part of the hard disk that stored his '4 yr old file' atleast once in the last four years.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx

desijays
    It proves one thing. Our friend 'heavenly' rarely uses the hard disk on which he found the file he deleted 4 years ago.

Cos, if he had been using that hard disk regularly, the OS would have over written that part of the hard disk that stored his '4 yr old file' atleast once in the last four years.
    True true, the total mem of that hard disk was about 1GB. And my first pentium 1. So well, all I had in it was doom, a few pics and countable text files...I had completly filled up my drive just once or twice, and errased some stuff. Ofcourse 4 years is an exageration (I got that PC 3 yrs back lol ) (oh got an idea for new thread😀 )

anyway, what I found were loong lost pics 😁

Try :
    #-Link-Snipped-#

and

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Well CEans time to get started. We'll have our Quantitative Analysis questions of the CAT - 2006 in this thread. Lets see whether the CEans find it easy or difficult...
Well CEans time for some english now. We'll have our English questions of the CAT - 2006 in this thread. It was said its difficult this time, may be. But...
Hello CEans! Let us begin this edition of CE Bulletin with a short story about www.CrazyEngineers.com. CrazyEngineers came to life about an year ago on November 26, 2005 with a...
Hello CEans! While browsing the net, I came across this article on Cnet News - https://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-6133998.html Yahoo is late, but better late than never. The best thing I liked about...
Hi, I want to install Red Hat Linux on my computer which already has Windows XP. I have one 80 GB hard drive with partitions C:20 GB and rest D:...