How does IP messenger work?

can someone plz tell me as to how the ip messenger catches or recognizes the host name of all active users and how does it retrieve the ip address of all connected devices??? It wld be very helpful is someone could give me a quick answer

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    Well, it uses Java Socket Programming to perform the above mentioned tasks.

Wanna know more? Well, it creates a multicast object and uses the methods like InetAddress.getByName() and other similar other methods to meet its ends. You can search for the InetAddress class to get more info ๐Ÿ˜ .

Still want more? As this software is open source, u too can check the code for urself!! ๐Ÿ˜Ž and ask any difficulties u face here.

Still got some doubts? You can ask us and we would be happy to help!๐Ÿ‘
  • krishprateek
    krishprateek
    Thanxx for the rply.....but i actually dont want to get into the coding part.....i want to understand it frm the TCP/IP point of view....as to how it works at the layer level???๐Ÿ˜€
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    krishprateek
    Thanxx for the rply.....but i actually dont want to get into the coding part.....i want to understand it frm the TCP/IP point of view....as to how it works at the layer level???๐Ÿ˜€
    I think it happens in the following manner:
    • When the software starts, it broadcasts the packet to all computers on the Lan and those which have same software running responds.
    • Thus it gets a list of active users as hostnames are received as the response by the other computers.
    • Then it calculates the IP Addresses from the hostnames using getbyname() function told above.
    • The chat server starts running on a predetermined port to address the communication.
    The software uses multithreading to handle different operations separately.
    Hope it answers your query!๐Ÿ˜€
  • krishprateek
    krishprateek
    thanks a lot man.....the above info was really helpful...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It's quite obvious now that Apple's not Steve Jobs' Apple anymore. It's taken over by Tim Cook and whether that's good or bad for the company will be clear in...
How to calculate inrush current? And what is the maximum limit of inrush current?
can any body provides workbook for RCC structural design 1)) calculation of loads 2) design of footing , column , beam , chhajja and roof slab
Good day sirs and madams, Can you explain this Automatic pallet changing system? Thankyou!
Hi, all please let me know the design of snubber circuits for surge protection.