How does DD-WRT Work?

I stumbled upon project DD-WRT. The project offers custom firmware for your router and promises to unleash the full potential - something that the official firmware won't do. I see that the project supports a ton of popular routers and I'm tempted to try it out on my router.

I'm curious to know if anyone on CE has installed a custom DD-WRT firmware on their routers. Is there any way the firmware can help you improve the signal strength? If yes, how does it really work?

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I stumbled upon project DD-WRT. The project offers custom firmware for your router and promises to unleash the full potential - something that the official firmware won't do. I see that the project supports a ton of popular routers and I'm tempted to try it out on my router.

I'm curious to know if anyone on CE has installed a custom DD-WRT firmware on their routers. Is there any way the firmware can help you improve the signal strength? If yes, how does it really work?
    I am not sure how they are improving signal strength by firmware but as they are tweaking with hardware they might be playing with some filter settings which gives better signal reception.
    May be Cean #-Link-Snipped-# can give some more information about the signal strength in routers.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Do anyone know the cheapest supporting router from the #-Link-Snipped-# ?
    If anyone knows the cheap router among the listed devices please name the model here.
    I am eager to test this.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well, it is possible to have finer control of the TX power. If you want better signal strength, its better to invest in external antennas (if your router has the required connectors).

The custom firmware helps more on the routing performance and added functionality, compared to signal strength.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Could you talk a bit more about -
    ash
    Well, it is possible to have finer control of the TX power.
    I'm curious to know how can the firmware affect routing performance. I always thought once the hardware was all set; there's nothing much you can do about it.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm curious to know how can the firmware affect routing performance. I always thought once the hardware was all set; there's nothing much you can do about it.
    Some firmware has features of creating separate networks, one for you & another for guest.
    You can decrease the range of wifi, so that it doesn't reach out of home, so you feel secured about wifi.

I don't think any router's signal strength can be increased with mere custom firmware, the signal strength improvement is the hardware-side tweak.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Could you talk a bit more about -

For the TX power, you have more finer control. Some stock router software either have limited or no option to adjust the antenna power. Yes, you can't increase it beyond its specs, but you can increase it beyond the stock limits. They are usually set for optimum reasons.

Regarding routing performance, it depends on how you set the functionality. Default settings with DD WRT may get you better wireless throughput, but you can also test out different QoS controls depending on what kind of traffic you have in your network. DNS caching is also available to speed up host name lookups.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Microsoft will unveil the next generation of the gaming console XBOX. The project has been codenamed 'Durango' and the rumors are that Microsoft will actually reveal the console, unlike Sony...
The potential that Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) hold for the future is HUGE, and a glimpse of its gigantism was displayed by Norwegian Geologists as they employ autonomous drones to...
hello friends, what is the physical significance of the variable alpha in a transistor amplifier. Of course it represents the ratio of collector current to emitter current but what is...
dear friends, From the elementary study of control systems, it is clear that stability does play an essential role in the implementation of a control systems. Also there are a...
Insects as you know possess compound eyes. They may not provide them as good quality vision as compared to ours but they have a wider vision along with the capability...