How does capacitor hold the peak voltage applied to it?

i don't understand how a capacitor(however small its value might be) can hold the peak value of voltage supplied to it

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    It holds the peak voltage of it only when there is continuous supply of external voltage Equal to the peak voltage of the capacitor The moment the supply is cut off the Capacitor starts to discharge
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    The value you're referring is the value of capacitance which is the function of distance between the plates of capacitor. The value of capacitance doesn't actually have anything to do with how much voltage the cap can sustain.

Other than that, a capacitor is like connecting separate wires to the terminals of battery and checking the voltage between them. Since its a open circuit, the voltage of the batter will appear between the wires.
  • prashanth463
    prashanth463
    i know that thing but my question is how could a 0.001uF capacitor charge up to 10V applied to it(as the value of the capacitor looks so small)
    and thanks for the person who has edited my question heading into a meaningful sentence 😀
  • prashanth463
    prashanth463
    [Prototype]
    The value you're referring is the value of capacitance which is the function of distance between the plates of capacitor. The value of capacitance doesn't actually have anything to do with how much voltage the cap can sustain.

Other than that, a capacitor is like connecting separate wires to the terminals of battery and checking the voltage between them. Since its a open circuit, the voltage of the batter will appear between the wires.
    that was really a useful reply thank your #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    A totally discharged capacitor is like an empty tank. If a very short pulse of high voltage is applied to it, it will just absorb the pulse and may not charge to the peak voltage. A capacitor actually is a leveller and brings down the peaks, which is why it is frequently used for smoothening wave forms.
  • prashanth463
    prashanth463
    bioramani
    A totally discharged capacitor is like an empty tank. If a very short pulse of high voltage is applied to it, it will just absorb the pulse and may not charge to the peak voltage. A capacitor actually is a leveller and brings down the peaks, which is why it is frequently used for smoothening wave forms.
    thank you sir

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I was thinking of trying out Windows and decided to download a copy on my Mac. Now, as soon as I head over to Microsoft India website and click on...
Hello everybody! It's so nice to see e books if they are new.
Hi ! everybody, this is aditya om , i'm a 1st year student at NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, RAIPUR...... PURSUING a b.tech degree in electronics and telecommunications engineering.
wall and foundation for .1mgd water reservior
Hey guys! As my username suggests, am a big fan of Ironman and the science behind his gadgets. I know that the first thing you do after reading the thread...