How Do We Motivate Young Engineers To Become Tech Entrepreneurs?

It seems that every young engineer out there is running after a job in MNC. I find a very minute percentage of engineer who want to do something different and try their hands in the world of business. Startup-life is cool, risky and it keeps you on your toes all the time. But at the same time, it's very rewarding as well. Do these rewards (money, fame, power) act as motivators to the young engineers? Or is it just the joy of creating new technology or enterprise that plays the key role?

What are you thoughts on motivating young engineers to become tech entrepreneurs?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    My personal experience was with two people separated by 25 years. One was a civil servant, who resigned his IAS post to start India's first Biomedical Device company. He took technology from the Trivandrum institute that developed the technology and made it a thumping success by dint of sheer hard work. We both enjoyed the toil hugely. There was not much money made by the company in the early years. It was uphill all the way. He stuck to it. Sheer guts.

The second is a systems architecture guy. Wants to do something that will help the country and hopefully make some money in time. He left a lucrative career in IT and striking out into the biomedical field. He is on the first step. Again guts and determination to make it work. He has no money whatsoever and has to fight every inch of the way. I am sure that he is going to do it. In his case there is only a concept that we kicked around in a two hour first meeting. He has to develop the whole technology. He also is having lot of fun doing it.

The one thing common to both was the immense satisfaction of a high enough goal, the sheer joy of the struggle against odds and having fun doing it.

One way to motivate could be an orientation course outside the purview of exams conducted by the colleges using real life entrepreneurs.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @bioramani: Good to know about your experience.

I feel engineering students are not open to new avenues. There is nothing wrong in working for a MNC, but I feel an engineer's life should be more adventurous than that.
    And an entrepreneur's journey gives all opportunities to LIVE an adventure.

I think an alternative to that could be, working for a start-up. When it's a start-up, the team is small and all the team member's 'know' the business.

There are a couple of programs taken by Government like 'Entrepreneurship development program' for engineering students, but it's mostly theoretical and fail to motivate. It would be great if we think of ways and start an initiative here on CE.
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    AbraKaDabra
    @bioramani: Good to know about your experience.

I feel engineering students are not open to new avenues. There is nothing wrong in working for a MNC, but I feel an engineer's life should be more adventurous than that.
    And an entrepreneur's journey gives all opportunities to LIVE an adventure.

I think an alternative to that could be, working for a start-up. When it's a start-up, the team is small and all the team member's 'know' the business.

There are a couple of programs taken by Government like 'Entrepreneurship development program' for engineering students, but it's mostly theoretical and fail to motivate. It would be great if we think of ways and start an initiative here on CE.
    Entrepreneurs are Entrepreneurs because they want to become Entrepreneurs. No motivation required. We are born to be Entrepreneurs. Success or Failure , Never Mind. But We choose to contribute through our thinking and Work. Engineers Works for MNC because that is easy. Getting Fixed Salary, opportunity to visit USA and all that silly office tours. One who become successful Entrepreneurs are the ones who always want to become one. No motivation required...
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    Nobody motivated Vinod Dham or Bill Gates or Dear "K" and of course MeπŸ˜€D ). SO you can not motivate an engineer to become Entrepreneurs. There ends the thread.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I recently heard about Modi's incubator. Hope it is a success. I go by Rupam Das. If you want something very much badly, you will succeed in it.

Many times small thing attract us. We should go for small things first to make them big. πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Rupam Das
    Nobody motivated Vinod Dham or Bill Gates or Dear "K" and of course MeπŸ˜€D ). SO you can not motivate an engineer to become Entrepreneurs. There ends the thread.
    Woa, someone puts me in the same 'line' as VD and BG! 😁 . Of course the final motivation comes from 'inside'. However, I've observed that there's a large majority of students interested in entrepreneurship. They need some exposure to success/failure stories so that they can ignite the internal motivation...read 'fire'.
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    Dear "K" I feel every Entrepreneur's life is a wonderful experience. Names are categorized by the line of success. Doesn't mean that if an Entrepreneur ​ is not in Forbe's Richest List, his contribution is small. We bring about a meaning to knowledge and life, or try to.... so yeah.... Boss you are definitely there with all Big "B", "D".... ( By the way how about compiling a list of Big Entrepreneurs from A to Z? I find Alphabet R is still vacant........ Is it???😁
  • RenuRamachandran
    RenuRamachandran
    I feel engineers are mostly strong on their theories.......and they are too weak on their practical views and hence they dont approach life by thei own and so obviusly they depend on companies.......πŸ˜’
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    RenuRamachandran
    I feel engineers are mostly strong on their theories.......and they are too weak on their practical views and hence they dont approach life by thei own and so obviusly they depend on companies.......πŸ˜’
    Not really. I believe it's all about attitude towards engineering - and it's totally personal πŸ˜€

I strongly feel if students are 'exposed' to entrepreneurship - there would be several wannabe entrepreneurs who'll seriously think of starting up right in their colleges or just after graduation.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    There are many decisions that we take wrongly. In 4 years of engineering we should strive to develop a idea which we can sell. Many woefully fail in it. Anyways it is never late. Better late than never.
  • dnt4gett
    dnt4gett
    i agree with rupam das
    and I believe that it's all about attitude and passion towards engineering - and it's totally personal so you can not teach any one because its just devotion toward work who will lead to excellence.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I saw a couple of my friends sharing their about.me pages & was intrigued to know more about it. I found out their video here: [video=vimeo;19914735]https://vimeo.com/19914735[/video] Has anyone set up...
Thousands of people have taken GRE by now. It would be great if you share some tips and suggestions for new GRE study.
HackTrack with Techfest 2012,Asia's Largest Science & Technology Festival of IIT,Bombay for more details you can visit the below link https://www.techdefence.com/hacktrack-iit.php
hello..i need to understand how automotive(or any otther for that matter) parts are manufactured...the whole sequence of manufacturing proccess they are subjected to..well illustrated and briefly explained..here is something similar...
Apple - Jobs at Apple - Students (us)