How Do Under-powered Gadgets & Over-Powered Gadgets Affect The Gadget & System Connected To It ?

There's a reason why Power consumption is mentioned in each & every electronics gadget.
The gadget works perfectly in the mentioned Power consumption unit, but not as desired if less than what's mentioned in specification.

I would like to know, what happens when gadget is under-powered ?
I think the gadget won't work at all, but I am not sure though. Can it damage any other component connected to it, if the gadget is under-powered ?

I would also like to know what happens if the gadget is over-powered ?
Consider i have GFX card which requires 500 W to run, but if I use 750 W then what can happen ?
What will be effect to the hardware & all other components connected to it ?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Over Current never practically occurs So if your over power is only cos of fluctuation in currents then it is absent in system

Why?
    A load picks up only a fixed amount of current based on the applied voltage Higher currents never flow into them

High pwer due to Voltage surges are dangerous to the equipment If the equipment is not capable to withstand this voltage surge it will be cooked for sure

Voltage surge affects components without SMPS more So in a sense SMPS protects your hardware by self destructing itself
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Hey AR are you cleared man

I some times feel that my language is not understandable So pls tell whether I cleared the doubt
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I have heard that Under powered GFX card can damage the components.
    There are times when SMPS can get shorted which alongwith it take few other components to the death.

So, I wonder if gadget is under-powered, how come the gadget is damaged ? 😨
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The power fluctuations are due to Voltage fluctuations
    When Voltage fluctuations are within the 90 % to 110 % of the actual voltage requirement of the gadget the device turns on and off rapidly destroying the device completely due to severe or hyper transient effect

Cumulative thermal breakdown occurs in the gadget that is fatal

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

GPL also known as General Public License. GPLv2 is copyleft license. Now I will try to elaborate a bit more using software Linux Kernel (yeah kernel is a software): Linux...
Firefox recently released it's Mobile Operating system, Firefox OS. Geeksphone, a spanish company of smartphones is set to launch the Firefox OS based phone named Peak+ which will be shipped...
SmartNaMo is an upcoming smartphone dedicated to the Gujarat Chief Minister, Mr. Narendra Modi. Before you read further, be alert that this information is based on reporting done by mainstream...
Hello my dear friends, I am thinking of buying new scooter. I want such thing which pull some descent power out of it and has no serious care for mileage....
Researchers at MIT have shown that it is possible to introduce false memories into the mind, and they have done so by using the brains of mice to successfully arouse...