How can you improve the Mileage of a Vehicle?

We all know that vehicles made these days have a certain mileage line specified by the company. Here are a few questions I'd like to discuss here:

1> How to improve the mileage of a vehicle so that you get equivalent stats as given by company?

2> What are the good driving practices that can lead to better fuel efficiency?

3> Do you think Indian roads allow maximum fuel efficiency or do they just drink more fuel?

Hoping to get a good review from the experts here.

mileageโ€‹

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A ton of things have worked for me in the past. I'd recommend reading this - Narayanan Menon On Fuel Efficiency & Saving Costs - Tips - tips shared by Narayanan Menon who holds the record of max mileage out of Tata Manza.

Here's what's worked for me -
    1. Don't raise the accelerator unless required.
    2. Don't apply brakes unnecessarily, make the ride as smooth as possible
    3. Keep correct air pressure in tires - check for specifications in vehicle's brochure.
    4. Service the vehicle often - this leads to maintaining the mileage.
    5. Keep the engine tuned, and carburator clean.
    I admit that I'm not much into automobiles. I'll however tag #-Link-Snipped-# .
    Indian Roads are pretty okay, I believe. But people need to be educated on proper driving habits. That's my opinion, though.
  • gohm
    gohm
    It's going to be hard to reach the stats of efficiency quoted from the manufacture as that is under extreme ideal & controlled environment. Question #2 has been addressed really well by the post above. I would only add to use cruise control if equipped and if a manual transmission drive in the highest gear possible without lugging the engine. Although AC running or having windows down does have an effect, studies have shown it is not enough to make a noticeable difference in real world driving. Also be sure to use the correct octane level for your vehicle. Modern ECUs will detect knock with a lower octane fuel and adjust & retard to counteract. This will have a small impact on fuel economy. As to question #3, I really can't speak to that as I have only been there once.
  • lal
    lal
    I think the first two questions can be combined. Good driving practicies can lead to higher fuel efficieny and better road safety. I'm not much familiar with four wheelers. But these are what I think can have an impact on the fuel efficieny of a geared two wheeler from my experiences. Applicable to all IC engines in general, I believe.

1. First one of course the engine RPM. Going hard on the throttle thriving for power burns a lot of fuel. This happens mostly when the vehicle starts moving from a stand still or low speed. In lower gears, more throttle really make the driver feel a lot of raw power. If fuel efficiency is the first biggest thing, yeah, limit it. Shift up to a higher gear sacrificing that feel of power.

2. Acceleration. Limit it. For higher acceleration, usually riders open the throttle a lot and shift up accordingly at a high pace. Even if the engine RPM may not get much higher, this practice burns quite a lot of fuel. Accelerate slowly if fuel efficiency is the main concern.

3. Drive in the right gear. There is a wrong speculation that higher gear and lower speed gives good mileage. If we check the meters we find the rpm and speed is low, so fuel consumption must be low. Its not the case though. There is an optimum speed for which the stress on engine is low and the efficiency is highest. No answer if anyone asks "at what rpm it happens", it can be kind of felt when driving.

4. Maintain the vehicle well. Grease the moving joints and drive chain, change engine oil and oil filter at right time, clean the air filter, keep a watch on spark plug, suspension, make sure the electricals and brakes are right and the tyre air pressure. On long rides and smooth road, the air pressure may be increased very slightly.

5. Application of brakes and clutch. If you apply clutch when braking, change it from this moment. It is safer and better not to apply clutch when braking. Don't shift up to a higher gear and use clutch to increase the vehicle speed. In slippery conditions, engine braking will be very handy(downshift right to lower speed).

6. Go fill from a bunk which gives you right amount of fuel for the money you pay (such bunks exist in India? ๐Ÿ˜)

Indian Roads: Well, there is nothing we can do about it. Ride sensibly and squeeze the best from your machine.
  • nasruddin sayyad
    nasruddin sayyad
    mileage of vehicle is totlly depends upon the carborator...i have experienced about it from two wheeler mechanic...he only changed the setting of "flued pin " in carborator...my cbz extereme gives 64 km/lit....
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    • Change your air filter often. When your engine is starved of air the efficiency drops.
    • Add a fuel treatment in your fuel tank every 6 months or so. This will clear the gunk out of your engine. I use Redline.
    • Drive smart. You burn more fuel when you have to move your vehicle from rest. Try to slow down at traffic lights rather than stopping. Do the same when in traffic. It takes more energy (inertia if you will) to move a body at rest than the same body if it is already in motion.
    • Change your fuel filter, oil and oil filter as needed. I usually change my oil and filter when my oil starts getting dark in color.
    • Keep your car parts stock. For example, if you put bigger rims and tires you are increasing the weight of your car lowering your fuel efficiency.
    • Do regular maintenance and tune-ups.
    • Maintain correct air pressure in your tires and change them when they get smooth.
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    If you are in India and if you want to save fuel:

Go to bed night before drive at 7PM. Start an 1AM. Drive upto 9.30 AM. Take rest at a dhaba for two hours. Start again at 12.30 and halt at 4.30 PM-7 PM.

Rest all points offered by members are insignificant in India. So the bottom line? Avoid traffic and rush hours.

Source: Experience of driving 750 Km every weekend !
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Rupam Das
    Source: Experience of driving 750 Km every weekend !
    Really? Do you drive that long 'every weekend'? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Really? Do you drive that long 'every weekend'? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
    Yup Sir!
    I have an office at Hyderabad and One at Gulbarga which is about 250 Km from Hyderabad. I do require to visit couple of other places like Bijapur, Bidar. So it is about 750 always. ๐Ÿ˜ก
  • lal
    lal
    Bows to you sire!๐Ÿ˜Ž

oh boy! Missing the like button ๐Ÿ˜
  • nasruddin sayyad
    nasruddin sayyad
    Rupam Das
    Yup Sir!
    I have an office at Hyderabad and One at Gulbarga which is about 250 Km from Hyderabad. I do require to visit couple of other places like Bijapur, Bidar. So it is about 750 always. ๐Ÿ˜ก
    then u have too mch experience about driving..
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    And here is an out-of-the-box tip:

if you are driving a two-wheeler, then in the future, upgrade it to a Mahindra Centuro.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Bangalore's M.G Road and Brigade road would soon get free wi-fi hotspots, making the city India's first to have them and make the rest of us jealous. The idea of...
Engineers at Volkswagen have set their eyes on building the world's most fuel efficient hybrid car and are aiming to achieve 261 miles per gallon (mpg) aka 110 kilometers per...
People love to talk about recession and a general slow-down in the IT industry. Whenever companies reduce the pace of hiring, people think we're going through recession. There can be...
BITS Pilani, one of India's premier engineering colleges, has organised Conquest 2013 - an International Startup Conclave. The official website of the event makes it clear that it's not a...
MAY I KNOW THE FUNCTIONS OF USING CLEATS IN MECHANICAL STRUCTURAL FABRICATION WORK.