How can we complete the circuit of grounding

how can we complete the circuit of grounding?? what if earth wire is not connected in any home??

Replies

• [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Generally, you dig a hole in front of the house, put some salt in it and a copper plate. The connection of this plate is provided at the meter from where it can be extended throuhout the home.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Since the supply voltage is ground referenced at the point of generation, an ungrounded domestic supply poses very real (can be fatal) shock hazards.
  • Naman Agarwal
    Naman Agarwal
    [Prototype]
    Generally, you dig a hole in front of the house, put some salt in it and a copper plate. The connection of this plate is provided at the meter from where it can be extended throuhout the home.
    actually i want to ask how this circuit can be completed in a circuit diagram??
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    naman2511
    actually i want to ask how this circuit can be completed in a circuit diagram??
    In a circuit when you say ground, it doesnt necesssrily mean the physical ground. It just means theres a potential difference and the lower one is at 0 potential which is same as ground.

In ac circuit, the grounding or earthin you are probably refering is done solely for protection purpose. It doesnt play any role in circuit completion.
  • lal
    lal
    In earthing, circuit is completed through the earth itself as it is a conductor. An earth wire will carry a current or complete the circuit only when a fault happens. It is not intended to carry any load current though it can do so.

The neutral wire is earthed too, at transformers and substations to keep it in zero/earth potential. Infact, there is no neutral wire running from a generating station. A three phase three wire system (only three phases but no neutral) is what is used for transmission. Neutral is obtained by star connecting the three phases and grounding the star point. It might seem like both neutral and earth wires are same. Actually both does the same thing, to form a current return path and complete the electric circuit.

A phase and neutral complete a normal electric circuit while a phase and earth completes the circuit in case of a fault for protective purposes.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What Is Static Synchronous Series Compensator??..elaborate it please
Micromax has launched a free messaging and texting app called HookUp and it promises to deliver free messages anywhere in India. But there's more than just messaging. You can share...
hiya!! i am anusha from chennai. am pursuing my b.tech biotechnology degree😀 am a fun loving person and undoubtedly not brilliant. Normally there are 3 types of students. 1)some make...
Hi guys, anyone knows something about this software, and how much popular it is especialy in earthquake design? Which software do you think is the best in earthquake design?
For a final year project which areas can i look at for new ways of efficient power factor correction? please help