How can technology help reduce corruption?

The 'only way' to help fight corruption is to enable use of technology in almost everything that we do. The other day, I was having a conversation with my father about possible ways technology could help reduce corruption. 

We discussed lot of interesting points, but at the same time - we both wondered if adoption of technology would give rise to newer forms of corruptions. 

Because unless the computer systems and technology can decide whats right and whats wrong in the moral context; it can be used to create newer forms of corruption.

What are your thoughts on positives and negatives of using technology to reduce corruption? 

Replies

• Abhishek Havanur
    Abhishek Havanur

Absolutely right, Technology is one of solution to reduce corruption. As per my experience in the instants like RTO, GOVT organisations , schools, collages etc, there are many middle man or kinda agents asks for extra money to get work done if not given its almost difficult to get work done,so may be it can be eliminated by online transaction & its implemented in some areas,govt should work on this to make it flexible and i think main disadvantage is not everyone is aware of technology or digital transactions.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

You can actually see how technology is helping reduce corruption. In my city, there was a huge problem of traffic police taking bribes. That was addressed by someone who's really smart. 

How Traffic Police Corruption Was Fixed Using Technology

Now, only the traffic police aren't to be blamed for the corruption. The riders who didn't follow the traffic rules are equally responsible. But it was all 'brotherhood' among the rule breakers and the law enforcers.

The traffic police were given a camera phone and all they had to do was to click a photo of the person who didn't wear helmet or jumped the signal. 

No 'conversation' and 'negotiation' needed. The police had to send the photo to the central control room where the owner of the vehicle would be identified and sent a challan on their registered address.

The challan had to be paid in 7-10 days or it'd attract fine. I think they even linked the commission of the police. So the police could now 'legally' earn money and still report the offenders. Problem solved!

Now, they are taking the next step!

There are CCTV cameras at every corner in the city. Nothing escapes from those cameras and the police don't even have to bother being at the traffic signals. 

The CCTV cameras capture the video of the signal jumper and sends it to the control room. The owner of the vehicle is then identified and sent a challan. 

Quite interesting way to solve corruption problem! 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

What if the policeman does not take the photo but takes the bribe?

A better tech option is an AI enabled monitoring facility that takes the photo of persons violating the rules and uploading the data to the enforcing agency, which can also be automated to take action or at least put up a report for human enforcement.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# sir, I think there were a few incidents where this was reported; and hence the CCTV approach is being adopted. 

I think their new approach is way better because it eliminates the human involvement. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

I think some attempt at this CCTV is being tried at Bangalore. There are rumors that the bribe takers are trying to sabotage some of these. 

Ultimately, integrity is internal. However, every little bit helps. So onward  Christian Soldiers (CEans)! Get thee behind me Satan.

Onward christian soldiers - YouTube

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Posting on behalf of #-Link-Snipped-#  -

how digitalization helps in eradicating the corruption

• abhijeet chandak
    abhijeet chandak

We discussed a lot of interesting points, but at the same time - we both wondered if adoption of technology would give rise to newer forms of corruptions. 

Because unless the computer systems and technology can decide what's right and what's wrong in the moral context; it can be used to create newer forms of corruption.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

I am told that Blockchain creates an environment of trust in an untrustworthy domain of peers.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm an ECE final year  student I wanted to be an embedded software  engineer but i found it is complicated so i dropped it.i have passion towards coding but don't...
Sir, I am studying diploma final year EEE branch we have industrial training in 6th semester is it available?  If available please give me the information about the training sir
Career in car designing after completing BE in industrial engineering 
Eco sewage treatment plant.details and equipment use to treat sewage and energy saving method using Fluidised bed reactor.and gravel filter to obtain effluent of required strenght
How will be the compressive strength of concrete effect by the use of nano silica