How being a software engineer,am I helping the environment?

Today I went into my line of thoughts again and felt like my degree in software engineering is a waste.I always thought I will do something for the betterment of society and something which will conserve and protect our environment.But how could doing something on computer can we have such results!Just posted this because I felt really low and somewhat my goal of starting a software company seemed vague to me.

(Sorry if the post looks discouraging)

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I think this thought in any Software engineer will allow him to rethink the amount of Ewaste he / she creates during his/her office hours and also in the So called Over times the do

Thinking and giving your time for betterment of the environment is the first stone to the betterment of the environment. It is the corner stone on which u can build your own crazy idea to nourish nature
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Whats In Name
    Today I went into my line of thoughts again and felt like my degree in software engineering is a waste.I always thought I will do something for the betterment of society and something which will conserve and protect our environment.But how could doing something on computer can we have such results!Just posted this because I felt really low and somewhat my goal of starting a software company seemed vague to me.

(Sorry if the post looks discouraging)
    There is no need to be sorry, actually this is a very important, yet least cared issue.
    Now thinking about it, I feel that everything has its pros and cons . It depends on how you think about things πŸ˜€ .
    In my opinion we software engineers contribute a lot to the environment. The more we enable people with IT, the more we save trees . As a good deal of office work is shifting to computers, less paper is being used, which directly save trees. I am sure someday no tree would be cut for the sake of paperπŸ˜’ .
    Here's another perspective: you don't need a degree to contribute to the environment as no degree can teach you that. You can always contribute in your own ways, such as planting some trees, managing waste of your home, using biodegradable and eco-friendly materials.
    And u ask what u can do on computer, right πŸ˜€, well u can create awareness among people towards conserving environment through blogging and social networking, Internet is the greatest power you have got to make people aware.
    I hope these thoughts of mine could guide u in right direction and help u feel better about being a software engineer πŸ˜‰.
    Good Luck!!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Whats In Name
    I always thought I will do something for the betterment of society and something which will conserve and protect our environment.But how could doing something on computer can we have such results!

Hi WIN, the very best of ideas in engineering combines the efforts of different engineering disciplines (best example: CE Forum πŸ˜‰ ). Your contributions from the stand point of software engineering is vital, since we need the coding to run machines, applications.. anything that needs 1's and 0's.

You have an idea how to contribute to society and environment? Set it up, share it with us on CE. Draft up an abstractions on what steps can be done to resolve an issue or provide a solution, then work on the algorithm.

We had a discussion a while back on how we could clean up oil spills in the sea. Some ideas were chipped in, such as having a fleet of autonomous robots that can sponge the spills. But who are the best among us that can actually implement the idea and give intelligence to these robots? That can link them together, process data and output useful information on screens for people to use? πŸ˜€

Full respect to you crazy software CEans!
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Everything under the sun has a purpose. Software effects on saving environment is indirect and hence hardly apparent. Without software, industries and homes (smart homes) would spend a lot more energy affecting environment adversely.
  • Nikhil Lokhande
    Nikhil Lokhande
    I think we are doing really great on saving environment (saving trees and everything mentioned above).

Why don't we come up with any ideas(Easy to implement) which can help for betterment of society and environment as well..πŸ˜€
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Your points really made me feel better,πŸ˜€
    Thank you!
    I agree that Internet is the best way to create awareness among people, but it is still out of reach for most of the people in the country.People who are less educated or poor are out of its reach and they need most of the awareness. I wish something can be done with this issue!
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I really liked your post, feeling motivated.Loved the last para!πŸ˜€
    Thank you.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Here's a little summary of the entire post:

Your Issue:
    1. Software engineers can't do anything for the environment.
    2. Not everyone can use the internet.
    3. You can't start a software company.

Here's an idea:

1. Using your software skills create an outstanding blog/website which highlights your desire to save the environment. Take some professional help if required. Make sure the website clicks using SEO tactics.

2. Create a fan page on Facebook and other social networking media and invite your friends, people on CE, and people everywhere else to join in for your cause. You should state the things you plan to do for the environment clearly in your website.

3. Collect a bunch of talented friends with varied skills to join together. Some could be exceptional photographers, others could be good videographers, and some could even be good editors or playback singers. You get the picture. Now, make a good script and create an excellent video or a bunch of videos that can capture the audience into your cause. Make sure the video goes viral (like the Kolaveri song, or Gangnam style). You can also do a low budget video using a bunch of smartphones (oh yeah!). Now, after thorough editing, upload this video on Youtube. Make sure that you create an account on Youtube after consulting someone who has made real cash via youtube. If everything goes well, you can generate revenue from Youtube for starters. Make sure to post links of these videos on all areas you hold a positon on the internet (apps, social networking, forums, blogs, and the options are unlimited).

4. Using whatever cash you earned from the video, start another offline campaign to reach the people who don't use the internet. You can begin directly from your own primary school as children are the most direct form of newspapers. This should be strictly a part time work, you still need your job to keep you moving unless your plans get clicked! Also invite other bloggers to write on your blog/website regarding environment issues. When you've created a noticeable platform, people will definitely be willing to write as the benefits are mutual.

5. In time, you can be famous enough to start a website corporation with a bunch of software professionals working together to save the environment. Or you might just start a sub-corp of CE - with the name CE NatureCops or something like that.

Real time example: #-Link-Snipped-# and also #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    anoopthefriend
    Here's a little summary of the entire post:

Your Issue:
    1. Software engineers can't do anything for the environment.
    2. Not everyone can use the internet.
    3. You can't start a software company.

Here's an idea:

1. Using your software skills create an outstanding blog/website which highlights your desire to save the environment. Take some professional help if required. Make sure the website clicks using SEO tactics.

2. Create a fan page on Facebook and other social networking media and invite your friends, people on CE, and people everywhere else to join in for your cause. You should state the things you plan to do for the environment clearly in your website.

3. Collect a bunch of talented friends with varied skills to join together. Some could be exceptional photographers, others could be good videographers, and some could even be good editors or playback singers. You get the picture. Now, make a good script and create an excellent video or a bunch of videos that can capture the audience into your cause. Make sure the video goes viral (like the Kolaveri song, or Gangnam style). You can also do a low budget video using a bunch of smartphones (oh yeah!). Now, after thorough editing, upload this video on Youtube. Make sure that you create an account on Youtube after consulting someone who has made real cash via youtube. If everything goes well, you can generate revenue from Youtube for starters. Make sure to post links of these videos on all areas you hold a positon on the internet (apps, social networking, forums, blogs, and the options are unlimited).

4. Using whatever cash you earned from the video, start another offline campaign to reach the people who don't use the internet. You can begin directly from your own primary school as children are the most direct form of newspapers. This should be strictly a part time work, you still need your job to keep you moving unless your plans get clicked! Also invite other bloggers to write on your blog/website regarding environment issues. When you've created a noticeable platform, people will definitely be willing to write as the benefits are mutual.

5. In time, you can be famous enough to start a website corporation with a bunch of software professionals working together to save the environment. Or you might just start a sub-corp of CE - with the name CE NatureCops or something like that.

Real time example: #-Link-Snipped-# and also #-Link-Snipped-#
    WOW,for a moment I was not reading it but living it!πŸ˜€
    It looks like a foolproof plan.Inspiring,I must say!
    Thank youπŸ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    What has software skills to do with the price of fish?
    Anyone, even a historian, can help the environment.
    Make a compost pit for kitchen waste grow vegetables in pots. Conserve water and power. I am told that more than 1 KWH of power is spent on each Google search. Apparently G is doing something about it.

Advise children on conservation. There are any number of small direct things an individual can do to help the environment.

Let us just do it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I want to replace sendmail command by mailx. But in sendmail there is one option available -OEightBitMode=mimefy (to convert 8 bit to 7 bit). Is there same kind of...
how to find the no. of hits on button in a web page using jsp. The no. of hits has to be started with the last hit that has been...
Here's a project idea for mechanical engineering students. How about designing a ceiling fan that is suicide proof but will offer exceptional level of reliability during day-to-day operations? The ceiling...
I see that in the recent times, the Internet radio is rapidly being adopted and services like Rdio and Pandora are popular than ever. That said, the traditional radio (FM...
At a time when governments across the world are implementing surveillance programs like PRISM, keeping your anonymity has become quite difficult; in times like these people have been heavily relying...