How Avatar was created : computing power

The company that is to be credited for this is Weta Digital located in Wellington, New Zealand

The visual effects department at Weta comprises of some major processing power consisting of 34 racks, each with four chassis of 32 machines a piece. The combination of those machines comprises a total of 40,000 processors along with 104 terabytes of memory using 10 GB networking adapters.

[​IMG]
And if you are wondering what type of computers Weta Digital uses, during an upgrade back in the summer of 2008 their system was rebuilt with over 4,000 HP BL2×220c blade computers.

To tackle the task of helping create Avatar, it took the Weta Digital super computers processing up to 1.4 million tasks per day to render the movie, which consisted of processing 8 gigabytes of data per second running 24 hours for over a month. Often each of Avatar’s frames took several hours to render. And when you consider that is just one frame out of 24 for every second of film, you can imagine why the major processing power at Weta Digital was needed.

Huge Input implies Huge Output implies Great Response ... right?

source: geek

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Nice info, it was a good film. I do miss the older days where scifi had more real photography using actors, models etc.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Thanks for the info, nice one !!!

Avatar is surely among the one of the best movie in 2009
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm yet to watch the movie. But is it true that its entire computer graphics? [and no actors? :0 )

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

You’ve probably noticed it if you have visited Google.com over the past few days: A multi-stage artwork depicts holiday postcards piling atop the Google logo with each passing day. Each...
1)The smallest number which when diminished by 3 is divisible by 21,28,36 and 45 is... (i) 869 (ii) 859 (iii) 4320 (iv) 427 2) Gold is 19 times as heavy...
Hi,i want to know about the applications of "RATIO CONTROL SYSTEM." Specially the applications on chemical industry,aircraft engine.
Want to know on new developments regarding precast concrete structures.
Hendijanifard, M., Willis, D.A., “Modeling of Pressure Evolution during Nanosecond Laser Ablation of Metal Films”, Proceedings of the HT2009 (Presented at Summer Heat Transfer Conference, July, 2009). Hendijanifard HT2009 paper.pdf...