How are Android fans reacting to Tim Cook's Assault On Android?

Tim Cook totally ripped apart Android on the stage of the WWDC 2014. He presented the stats about the installed base of the operating systems - iOS 7 : 89% and Android KitKat: 9%; and even joked about Android being the dominant force in malware markets. I'm curious to know how are Android fans reacting to Tim Cook's presentation.

There's one important thing to note - that Google doesn't actually control the adoption of Android operating system. Being open source operating system; the manufacturers have been able to offer tweaked versions of the OS on their hardware. This often leads to delays in offering upgrade. The Galaxy phone users had to wait for months and months to get Kit Kat for their phones.

Is Tim Cook hinting at proprietary operating system being a better choice than open sourced one?

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I always support Open source because of the advantage of customization and interface with global acceptance.I don't know about the malware or virus attack on opensource software especially android. What does the experts view on malware attack?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    We could move this thread to Debates section and title it -
    Open Source Vs. Proprietary Software
    I read this line on a blog some days back -
    We said [open source would eliminate proprietary vendors] 10 years ago, too, and then VMware came from nowhere and became 4-5 times Red Hat's size.
    Those who oppose 'Open Source' (there aren't many) and support proprietary software might say that - "Too many cooks, spoil the food."

Other arguments usually are - questionable quality, nobody takes the responsibility and well yeah - open source might not always be aligned with the corporate needs.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    One (Tim) Cook, Spoiling Android!
  • livingenzyme
    livingenzyme
    I don't really care. One toy OS attacking another toy OS.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Apple certainly don't know how Pie-chart works, not surprising.

First of all 13.6% of all Android devices runs 4.4+ not 9% (tech.firstpost.com)
    Secondly, Android holds 80% mobile share & Apple is around 14%. So, Kitkat with 13.6% of all Android device will still outnumber 90% of iPhone running iOS7 from all iOS device
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    He was specifically talking about percentage of devices running the latest version of the operating system. As I said, Google doesn't have any control over how frequently are updates rolled out to the devices.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Thease days energy requirement is very high.Scientist are suggesting for renewable energy source but renewable energy source are intermittent. There is another way of solving the energy crisis by storing...
I want to know if a website can be displayed inside an android app... Of course, app needs to run only that particular website, so no need to enter url...
While the world was busy gawking at Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference, Sony quietly unveiled its new Android KitKat flavoured smartphone, Xperia T3. As you have already guessed from the name...
Quote: On the morning of January 1, 1914, the first scheduled commercial airline flight took to the air. Taking off from St Petersburg, Florida, and flying to Tampa, the Benoist...
Just in a hurry, so can't mention much, but look at this : Quoting from official site : https://tails.boum.org/ Privacy for anyone anywhere Tails is a live operating system, that...