Hot rolling and cold rolling process

why surface roughness is greater in hot rolled parts than cold rolled parts..................@@@@@@@@@##########%%%%%%%%%%%%%%?%

answer as early as possible.....
FINAL exam question..........

Replies

• N.Gowtham Raj
    N.Gowtham Raj
    Hot rolling process takes place at a temperature greater than re-crystallization temperature of the material. And do a detrimental layer called ' scale' is formed on the surface of the part which in turn governs the surface roughness.
  • Void Runner
    Void Runner
    ^The above post is the correct answer as far as your exam is concerned. But this question is a good example of why there is no such thing as one single answer. If you ask me to answer, I'll come across a completely different explanation and still make sense 😁
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Void Runner
    ^The above post is the correct answer as far as your exam is concerned. But this question is a good example of why there is no such thing as one single answer. If you ask me to answer, I'll come across a completely different explanation and still make sense 😁
    So what is your answer ?
  • Void Runner
    Void Runner
    #-Link-Snipped-# ^The smoothness or roughness of a surface is defined by the structure and form (crystalline/amorphous) of the surface material. Those surfaces which have similar bonding structure and crystal planes along the length of the surface axis will generally be more smooth.

Now, hot rolling vs. cold rolling - Each time you "press" or "roll" something into a substrate, you are giving some energy to it. Energy given to an atom or molecule on the surface tends to break the bonds and reorient the crystal planes. When the rolling is HOT, you add heat energy to this mix - more bonds broken per unit second. The net result is that the surface becomes rougher due to the presence of different bond structures and different crystal planes. Thus, hot rolling results in a rougher surface than cold rolling.

(The above is from the perspective of physical chemistry).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A ton of engineering students opt for post graduate studies thinking that they'll get a suitable job and an edge over their peers. However, recent study has discovered that only...
hello everyone, i need a mechanical project for final year. please help me out , its urgent and if possible please provide ppt also.
Whatever the corruption and malaise plaguing India, there is hope while there is such spirit! Let us salute them. ( email from my N.Purushottama)
How to design the output capacitor? I mean taking its ESR into consideration. And how output capacitor RMS current value is selected? Please can any one tell me the complete...
I will glad to receive some links that are connected to echnologies or devices or knowledge for cars