Hot areas and Sand dunes...

My Native place is a city in Rajasthan (India), which is famous for desserts and hot summer seasons. One day I was wondering that there are tons of sand dunes why doesn’t somebody come up for following two business models:

1. Sand dunes are full of Silica, Why haven't somebody tried to separate out Silica to make glasses. Any technology which may help in this regard?

2. Area is too hot, sun beats down for around 12 hrs a day round the year. On top of that sand dunes makes the condition even hotter. Why doesn’t someone develop some solar power system using Sun rays and Sand Dunes heat? Also important part is to store the electricity and utilize it later.

I am not sure If I am sounding a bit crazy, or should say completely crazy: mrgreen: but again I though, Its crazy engineer place and I am crazy boy, I have all the rights to become crazy. Your thoughts on about two ideas, are they feasible?

Note: I was wondering where I should place this post, it should go in CE-Lab; However CE lab was not working for me, so I post this here. Mods, you can shift this in CE-Labs.

-CB

Replies

• raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    The desert is a rich source of both Solar and Wind Energy. So it can be used as an alternative form of energy.
    As far as making glass is concerned, personally I would be against it even if it was possible. Reason; We humans have exploited each and every area of the earth for our economical gain. We can at least leave the desert sand and the creatures that abide in it alone. The desert is home to many beautiful reptiles and small mammals. But it is my personal belief and others may think differently.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Solar towers are great for a desert environment as long as there is no danger of sand storms.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    But Gohm, sand storms will always be there. Any suggestions on dealing with them and still getting energy alternatively.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *moved to CE Labs*

I guess putting autonomous wipers on the solar panels would solve the sand storm issue *grin*

I think we should try to design a theoretical hybrid solar/wind farm, and estimate how much it costs to construct one. Rajastan can be a location we can choose, we can get some detailed sunlight and wind data for the desert area, as well as logistical costs to connect the farm to the nearest city power grid. All this should be possible by pooling all engineering disciplines together (civil, mechanical, electrical, etc).
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I am all game for starting a theoritical project on this... after all I am from a deserty area (Bikaner, in Rajasthan (India)).

Soon, I will try to come up with data related to wind, sand storms, temperature.

-CB
  • gohm
    gohm
    Not always, they are rare in the location in Australia for the tower there. Also at the location of the tower in Spain. I think the main issue with sand storms is damage caused to the mirrored surface of all of the reflectors.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    A crazy idea:

Is it possible to develop a system which will store energy and have senseors which can sense the difference in air presser (with difference in air pressure it can sense that sand storm is about to come).

As soon as it senses the change in air pressure and confirms that sand storm is about to hit, it should cover the mirrored surfaces and should open the wings; these wings will also generate energy and we can store that as well (Wind mills).

I do not know if this looks real crazy, but looks possible to me,

Somebody to oppose this, or add ideas to refine this.

-CB
  • gohm
    gohm
    CB, now that is thinking outside of the box, I like it! it is definately possible, though the fical feasability would need to be looked into.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Any crazy Civil, Mechanical, Electronix, Macatronix CEan want to take a shot to design this??

If yes, we can certainly give this as a formal project form and can plan for the future of this? any volunteers???

-CB
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    hey guys 😀
    nice fruitful discussion building up here.

we can also use solar cookers in the deserts. as CB mentioned the sun beats for 12 hours a day.... so CB are there people using solar cookers out there.:?: similarly the can use the solar water heaters...
    this act would reduce the electricity consumption and also reduces the pollution. the fossil fuels can be conserved this way.

as raj87verma88 pointed out I think it is wise to let the sand be undisturbed.

And guys I really don’t think that the sand storms will disrupt the solar towers. I mean are the sand stroms so fierce that they can topple the towers😕 even if they are fierce then cant we widen the base in order to maintain the stability :?:

crazyboy
    A crazy idea:

Is it possible to develop a system which will store energy and have senseors which can sense the difference in air presser (with difference in air pressure it can sense that sand storm is about to come).

As soon as it senses the change in air pressure and confirms that sand storm is about to hit, it should cover the mirrored surfaces and should open the wings; these wings will also generate energy and we can store that as well (Wind mills).

-CB
    Awesome thinking CB 👍
    I don’t exactly have an idea supporting your theory but I have some other points to add.

I’ve read that in Australia they are implementing the solar pyramids. This working some what similar to CB’s idea I think. Actually here the pyramid uses the solar cells to heat. The air is allowed to move into the pyramid and it is allowed to get heated by this heat offered by solar cells. Then hot air is used to run the turbines and thus produce the electricity.

And I’d say why not use it in India. As CB said the deserts has what is needed for this project plenty wind and heat. What say guys:?:
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Its not about the strength of the structure. The basic concern will be that sand and especially sand flowing with moving wind acts as an abrasive. So a material hard enough to withstand the abrasive action of the sand needs to be used.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Guys guys Guys.

Enough saying, basic reason why this is not present is obscurity of Desserty areas.

Is it possible if we will create an business case for this and present this idea to some VC (Venture Captialist) meeting? if we can pass on the message it would be a great achedivement for CE.

-CB
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    raj87verma88
    Its not about the strength of the structure. The basic concern will be that sand and especially sand flowing with moving wind acts as an abrasive. So a material hard enough to withstand the abrasive action of the sand needs to be used.
    oh ok then now a days the market is brimming with abrasion resistant steels or coatings (paints).... so i dont think that should be a problem.
    the problem may arise when we try to lay foundations of the structures... there we need to put our engineering to test.😀

crazyboy
    Guys guys Guys.

Enough saying, basic reason why this is not present is obscurity of Desserty areas.

Is it possible if we will create an business case for this and present this idea to some VC (Venture Captialist) meeting? if we can pass on the message it would be a great achedivement for CE.

-CB
    would be super if it could be made possible. but first we need to come out with the designs of the structures that can be built here.

and guys i dont think the pyramid structure would have much problems would it :?: but that too requires a lot of deciding and precautions to abrasion should be taken.

guys any more ideas :?:
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    CB could you brief us on the most common type of foundation in the desert areas.... will it differ due to the sandy nature:?: because i dont think the desert sand is compact and so the bearing capacity too may vary, right 😕 so even if we erect a solar tower we may have trouble with the foundation right :?:
  • gf321
    gf321
    crazyboy
    A crazy idea:

-CB

Why open the wings only during storm? Make a tower like structure and line it solar cells and place the wind mill on top.
    It will give maximum sunlight exposure throughout the day.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

With Steve Jobs publicly writing that Adobe's Flash software has technical faults that has resulted into Apple's decision of banning Flash on iPhone & iPad platforms; I think it would...
Can suggest an IT company in Coimbatore or Ooty , TN for an industrial visit of students from B.Tech(IT)....If you know suggest us...Am badly needing it.../😒...All your ideas are welcomed.,.
hi can anyone tell me project ideas on design or product related projects like consumer products,etc
can anyone tel me how to prepare for Bel probationary exam 2010 and which books to read
Internet will soon support .co domains and you can preorder them on register.com for only $275. Only $275 to reserve your name today with our limited time pre-sale pricing. Must...