Hooke's Law Explanation & Practical Applications

Definition: Within the elastic limit of a solid material, the deformation, produced by a force of any kind is proportional to the force.

Has anyone wondered why the definition has 'within the elastic limits of solid material' in the definition? If we go by the equation, it would be a linear equation - any reason why?

I'm starting this thread as a pointer to all the mechanical engineering concepts that can be discussed via this section. I look forward to responses from all mechanical engineers 😀

Replies

• slugger
    slugger
    Within the elastic limit of a solid material, the deformation, produced by a force of any kind is proportional to the force.

Because this observation and the corresponding Hooke's Law formula will hold true only upto corresponding stress-strain value as defined by the Elastic limit on the Stress-Strain curve.

This law can be applied only upto the point where the body regains its orignal dimensions after load is removed or atleast the body can be assumed to have regined its original dimension for all practical purposes - holds true for elastic limit

If you load the body beyond elastic limit the body will undergo significant plastic deformation, meaning the body will not regain its original dimensions even after the the load is removed - you dont want your body to get deformed

Hence, in order to ensure that the Law remains valid, we need to specify the limiting condition, "Within the elastic limit"

Actually it is more 11th standard Physics than Engineering 😉 But it is a critical Engineering design no doubt
  • Amith Gupta
    Amith Gupta
    I wanted to have on discussion on this problem..
    When we are compressing airin a cylinder using a cylinder-piston arrangement, the density of air changes and hence the force transmitted by it will also change..
    This means that air in uncompressed state will transmit less force whereas air in compressed state wikk transmit more.. That is the basics of pneumatic systems. Is this correct or not??
    Also can someone help me in finding the formula for the change in density and change in force transmitted that takes place.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

S&M Consultants is one of the upcoming names in the Oracle Fusion Middleware (OFM) Space. It has a team of experienced and certified OFM developers, who have sound understanding of...
Hello i m 2nd yr Ec student i m very confused in which field should i do my summer training and also how get in iitk for summer training........
We never knew we'd need a tiny slate with a magical touch screen on it that'd begin to replace our laptops. However, we all must agree that gadgets are evolving...
Hello engineers, I have a very big doubt in DSB SC,SSB SC modulation techniques.we know that the message signal is modulated with a carrier signal of a high frequency for...
Airtel's launched 3G across few cities in North India and has introduced USB 3G Modem Sticks: E1731. The E1713 has following features - Speed HSDPA 7.2Mbps, HSUPA 5.76Mbps Network: customized...