Homogeneous function

Function f (x, y) is a homogeneous expression if f (tx, ty) = (t^n) * f (x, y), for t (≠0). Prove that a homogeneous expression f (x, y) satisfies the following partial differential equation where p is a natural number .

[​IMG]

Replies

• circularsquare
    circularsquare
    There is an alternative definition of homogeneous function of order n.
    I.e f(x,y) = (x^n)u(y/x) where u is a function of y/x.

Example :- consider f(x,y) = x^2 + xy + y^2 you can write it as
    (x^2) (1 + y/x + (y/x)^2 ).

Use this property to prove for case p = 1. Then use mathematical induction on p.

Proving it is beyond my ability as there are many calculations. 😀 . Keep trying.
  • Aruwin
    Aruwin
    circularsquare
    There is an alternative definition of homogeneous function of order n.
    I.e f(x,y) = (x^n)u(y/x) where u is a function of y/x.

Example :- consider f(x,y) = x^2 + xy + y^2 you can write it as
    (x^2) (1 + y/x + (y/x)^2 ).

Use this property to prove for case p = 1. Then use mathematical induction on p.

Proving it is beyond my ability as there are many calculations. 😀 . Keep trying.
    I hate doing proving problems but I am gonna try it anyway. Well, can you look at my other thread? I guess that's easier than this.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    By any chance is this a homework?
  • Aruwin
    Aruwin
    Praveen-Kumar
    By any chance is this a homework?
    Nope,not homework. I have never posted any homework on here. If it was homework, I would leave it blank and wait until the teacher discuss it in class.
    Okay... 😀
  • Aruwin
    Aruwin
    Praveen-Kumar
    Okay... 😀
    And as to why I always post questions on here is because people here explain better than the teachers at my university do.
    Aruwin
    And as to why I always post questions on here is because people here explain better than the teachers at my university do.
    Ah! That's nice... Sure, we would be able to help you out... 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have been to load dispatch center recently. There they monitor everything using scada. Whether it is possible to control using scada. For example. To trip a coil?
Can any one give any details about the employment training program of Oracle for freshers? What we can expect during this training period and is will it be very difficult...
Earning money is the dream of everybody.If you want to earn money but do not want to invest a single penny then this post can be very useful. So How...
Concevior 2012 is an Archi Fest organized by MNIT Jaipur. It is the architecture segment of Primavera '12, the annual national level techno cultural fest of MNIT, Jaipur. It provides...
WHEN A LIZARD CAN, WHY CAN'T WE?​ ​​ This is a TRUE STORY that happened in Japan . In order to renovate the house, someone in Japan breaks open the...