Homemade Stirling Engine

A Stirling engine is a heat engine operating by cyclic compression and expansion of air or other gas, the working fluid, at different temperature levels such that there is a net conversion of heat energy to mechanical work.

Mechanical Engineers might be able to provide insights into this. What can be the applications of this?

Replies

• Gurjap
    Gurjap
    This dude hasn't told us the nitty-gritty of how it works. But it's a good science project.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I forgot to mention the link. That guy has explained how to do it on a forum in russian -
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I used google chrome translate feature and the instructions and images made it easy to understand.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    AbraKaDabra
    Mechanical Engineers might be able to provide insights into this. What can be the applications of this?
    The working is nearly similar to the IC engine.

there is a cylinder with a piston, and when this piston is heated, the air within it expands and pushes the piston forward which causes the crankshaft to rotate.

the rotation of the crankshaft continues and it in turn pushes the piston down, which again compresses the hot air in it, and again the piston is pushed up due to the extra heat added to the air and the cycle continues.

As for its application, well this is just another prime mover and can be used to drive any machinery, if it can provide that torque, which the latter would require for its normal operation.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    How Stirling engines work.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Questions that I have:

1. Is it vital to have that ninety degree offset between the sponge-rod and the piston-rod?

2. Could you replace the sponge with something like, another sized-down tin lid?

3. If the piston and the membrane were totally removed, would it still work?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Gurjap
    Questions that I have:

1. Is it vital to have that ninety degree offset between the sponge-rod and the piston-rod?

2. Could you replace the sponge with something like, another sized-down tin lid?

3. If the piston and the membrane were totally removed, would it still work?
    2. The sponge actually is acting like a boot, which is preventing the hot air from escaping. It can be replaced with anything as long as it is light and flexible.

3. no it wouldn't work , because those are the vital parts of this engine.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    zaveri
    3. no it wouldn't work , because those are the vital parts of this engine.

well, how?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Gurjap
    well, how?
    very simple !

Take any I.C engine and remove its piston and connecting rod , will it work ?
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Hm, maybe I should have said the piston that's on the membrane; not the sponge. My mistake.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here's where the Dropbox is engineered, developed, designed and delivered 😀 Amazing place to work, right? - https://jeffwongdesign.com/2011/02/drop-box-office-photos/#.T6dHf58tjSA
Box.Net - Enterprise cloud storage startup has just moved to a new office and those who want to see how it feels to work like in Box.Net's office, check out...
Our friends from NurtureTalent Academy have shared the following awesome news. Check it out - Are you bored from robotics/hacking? Are you looking for internship in top startups? Do you...
School teachers in Bhopal, India have been fighting with a new "problem" of SMS Lingo being used in papers. Gone are the days of proper spellings and punctuation. 'Your' has...
Shiva- Mech. Engineer- IT Profesional- looking for a change in career-Cheers!