Higher education: GRE/GATE/work exp?

Friends,

I have a little doubt. Now to be frank, My aggregate percentage is coming out to be 65%. I have completed III year mechanical engineering. I have one year left.

Now what to do? I have three options GATE/GRE or gaining work experience for a few years and the going for higher education.

Assume that I can crack GRE/TOEFEL like exams with decent score to get very good universities.

What would you suggest and why? Also give reasons. It is a very serious matter for me.

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    See, I have determination and can do very well in any exam. I got less percentage because very few people can get above 65% in our university at least from our college. The other reason being I never took study seriously.

For those who believe that I am not talking reasonably, then Let me tell that I had scored 76% during first year.

But down the line the percentage of even the intelligent people become 60. I may not be very intelligent, but this is only the supportive information for the assumption mentioned above.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Ishu, in your 3rd year itself, give out an attempt. So that, you can have an experience of how this exam would be. Check out your marks. Based on that, try for next year... πŸ˜€ See if you can get a decent score again, πŸ˜‰ you can go ahead with your higher studies... If not, gaining some kind of two or three years experience and getting on Masters, will make you feel comfy. 😁 This is my idea too! πŸ˜€ The decision now is yours... 😐
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Hello Praveen, yes I agree with what you said.

Another viewpoint is there. One of my friend (Degree~60%) took a drop. He did a job in DCS for free for 6 months in product designing. He gained lot of expertise by working overtime in these 6 months after degree. Later on he approached mechanical design related companies in Pune for 5000 a month during recession. He worked there for 1-1.5 years then he gave TOEFEL and went to UK.

Now he is in a comfortable position, in case his work exp counts, he will get a package of 28-30 lacks. even if it does not count still he can manage to get 18-20 lacks.

It is only because, he has confidence at doing things because he has worked in a very small company earlier. He always tried to get experience.

Now he is such a man, that no one can stand near him in case of designing mechanical products. πŸ˜€ He says a 2 year struggle is must.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Well the discussion is not only about mechanical engineering but any field of engineering even computer, electrical, metallurgical etc. Please people share your views.

the people who went to big companies just after graduation are still at a package of 4-5 lacks.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    All depends on what you need!
    If you want good package in IT, speak good english!
    Get some programming skills, and you will get a job!

If you want to go into your core field, for job or education then working is a good option.
    And, studying is another option. But what I would suggest is dont go for US for Mechanical study go to Europe or Germany! The Mechanical advancement in Germany is far better than that of US.
    Well, he is a Mech... So, I guess he doesn't have any interest in changing the trades, right?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Well basically speaking, I saw my friend's GRE and TOEFEL book of vocabulary. I think I can just learn it by heart (rote memory) while I am preparing for GATE too. I have a lot of time (1 year) I think whichever I can crack, I will go for that option. What say?
    Yeah, that seems to be promising... Go ahead... πŸ˜€
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    i think you can try GRE now. you have another year to go. take a GRE or any other exam right now. you can have an idea if it is a wise option to try for education abroad after you get your scores. i think GRE/TOEFEL must not be tough for you. try it. and if you think the scores are not upto the level you expect (which i think will not be the case) you can give 2012 GATE a shot. πŸ˜€
    i think you should have work as a standby option. sometimes some people think of gaining some work experience before doing higher studies. that would be a good option only if you're sure you wont settle for the job and let go of your higher education dreams. πŸ˜€
    and one more important thing as ES has mentioned check which country has better universities for mech and then write the related exams πŸ˜€
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    Hi Issue,

Yes getting a work ex is credible. But think twice before you make your decision. Because not all people after work ex who plan to study accomplish their dream of studying.

I have also seen people continuing with work because after getting into work they visualize earning a degree is little difficult as they have lost touch with studies. But if you are a person who have your mind set and will not lose your interest in studies then go grab some work ex whereas if you are little doubtful then go straight to earn your Master's and then look over for some work.

All the best πŸ˜€
  • vishwa25
    vishwa25
    hey i am also in 3rd year and facing same problem either go for GATE or for CAMPUS..πŸ˜”

one of my sirs suggest me to go for masters..but at the same time campus are also good in our college so what to do!!!it's so confusingπŸ˜•
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    vishwa25
    hey i am also in 3rd year and facing same problem either go for GATE or for CAMPUS..πŸ˜”

one of my sirs suggest me to go for masters..but at the same time campus are also good in our college so what to do!!!it's so confusingπŸ˜•
    There are a lot of reasons to be considered dear CEan,

1.your interest
    2.is your family dependent on u

Even after thinking about all, if you are still confused then my suggestion is :

It is not that if you attend campus you should not go for Masters right?

So prepare for Entrance exams right from now and next yr give ur GATE and go for placements also....

But then don't tell concentrating on both will reduce your efficiency.If you want one thing you should leave another.
    So make a decision soon or take both ventures(Placement+GATE) and think after finishing to choose the right one πŸ˜€

Hope it is of some help!
    Thanks!
    All the Best!
  • vishwa25
    vishwa25
    Thank you so much for reply...πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
    It really encourage me to go for both...placement n GATE....😁
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    Cool...post your experience after giving your shot to both. πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A video lecture series on Engineering Geology by Prof.Debasis Roy, Department of Civil Engineering,I.I.T.Kharagpur. [video=youtube;aTVDiRtRook]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTVDiRtRook[/video]
In the metals you say that the fermi level is the highest occupied level. likewise in a semiconductor I need to know the significance of fermi level in it .Why...
IIT Delhi Golden Jubilee Lecture by Steve Ballmer (CEO Microsoft) on 26th May 2011 If you happen to be in and around the NCR region, here's a great opportunity for...
I m doing my B.tech in Instrumentation & Control engg( 1st year completed...) frm NIT-Trichy....I wanted to get started into my course frm dis summer vacations....so plz advise some basic...
Hello mates, Just been thinking about it in the past few days and I wanted to share it with you so hopefully we can find a solution. Is there anyway...