High Lift, Low Drag Wings - NASA aims to have the Cake and eat it too

An aircraft should have a high lift for efficient take off and landing. During high altitude cruising, it will be best to have a low drag laminar flow of the air stream. Two obviously contradictory demands.

Looks as though NASA has made some progress in this tantalising design demand.
Quote:
Results from research efforts like the Advanced High-Lift Leading-Edge (AHLLE) system could show up on commercial airliners of the future that are filled with advanced technologies that may not look that different on the surface, but that make a big difference in fuel consumption and overall performance.
Endquote

Designfax – Technology for OEM Design Engineers

Replies

• The Observer
    The Observer
    well the pic shows a design similar to the general swept-back configuration. The other illustration is pretty good.. but the slats had that boundary layer forming which actually helped in better performance of the aircraft. The pic also seems to be a more acute form of the converging-diverging nozzle if am right..:/. Anyhow its good as long as the bernoulli's theory gets a push. but the C.S. no more looks like a aerofoil :/ confused bout it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Why we using the capacitors with MAX232 IC in a n interfacing circuits.????
Windows 8.1 aka Windows Blue public preview is coming in June 2013, reports The Verge. The next update to the recently launched operating system from Microsoft will be demonstrated at...
I'm doing experiment on time response specification,there I get a small difficulty,please help me ,I know the formula for raise time (Tr) when damping factor is less than 1,but i...
hay guys i am developing an rmi based application in netbeans 6.9 but i got found this exception access denied java.net.socketpermission 127.0.0.1 connect resolve can any one help me i...
Hi Friends, A Formula One car is a single-seat, open cockpit, open-wheel racing car with substantial front and rear wings, and an engine positioned behind the driver, intended to be...