High Impedance Relay Vs Low Impedance Relay

😕 Can any one help me out where to use high impedance relay and where to use low impedance relays?

Replies

• Muffy
    Muffy
    Hi!

Low impedance relays are used to switch high currents(like motors) while high impedance relays are used to switch low currents

The reasoning is as follows.

Relays used to switch higher currents need thicker contacts (to minimise heat and power loss), so the thicker the contacts are the heavier they become. Now to attract the contact (to achieve switching operation) the magnetic attraction has to be more powerful (because of the additional weight), implying the relay's coil should generate a higher magnetic flux. To have a greater magnetic flux, the current through the coil should obviously be higher. To facilitate higher current in the coil the resistance (impedance) of the coil should be lower.

Low impedance relays are bigger and more expensive, so try to use higher impedance relays wherever possible.

😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am working in networking . i would like to know the future of networking. want to join in google in future........ please give suggestions...
How to prepare for BHEL all india exam. I am elctronics and communication engg. suggest what are all the books to read for my department.
Hello I want to know , what are the signals used in 8085 microprocessor . It is Urgent for me getting answer of it , if anybody is here and...
any one can suggest me project topics for diplomo engg in mech
hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dis is shweta, final year cs student.Please suggest me some best technical seminar topics.Its urgent please...............