HIGH AIRFLOW OR HIGH STATIC PRESSURE, WICH USE ? (AXIAL AND CENTRIFUGAL FANS)

Hi, I have a question about  fans.

I need to use a fan for my carreer final proyect and im not sure what kind of fan use here. ( i have doubts about wich fan to use, high airflow fans or high static pressure fans).

My project consist in levitate a ball(or any aerodynamic object) by air , the ball will be in a tube and the fan will woks with out dust or big particles( clear air ).

There are fans that priorize air flow vs static pressure , and my question is wich type of fan i need to use here . ( I can use axial fans of centrifugal fans).

The goal here is move a ""heavy"" object (the ball) so wich kind of fan will use you ?

(I know that i need to aply bernuilli equation to know the force aply to the ball(and the drag equation later), but i dont know if i need high air speed/air flow or static ourtput pressure)

Thanks and kind regards.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Calculate the terminal velocity of the ball using:

#-Link-Snipped-#

If this velocity is v m/min, and the area of cross section of the tube is A m2, then the flow rate for the fan has to be more than A x v m3/min for the ball to levitate. Use Darcy–Weisbach equation to calculate the pressure drop that the fan should develop.

Darcy Weisbach Equations Formulas Calculator - Head Loss

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Imagine that you've appeared for an Interview. You are sitting in front of the interviewer and the interview is progressing well. You are answering to the best of your abilities...
I need a list of colleges that require only 12th grade marks for admission