Help with DOS command

can any of you tell me how to perform any command on a directory or file that contains space in its name. eg: "cd ms office";where "ms office" is the name of the folder,the system returnts an error.:sshhh:

Replies

• mahul
    mahul
    Re: help in dos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is simple....just type the name of the command followed by the name of the file/directory in double quotes, e.g. cd "ms office". i have used this always in windows command prompt and this would work for dos too(though i didn't check this out). so try this and let me know.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Re: help in dos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use a simpler method ๐Ÿ˜ Let's say you want to switch to directory name "Hello World", type first few characters of the directory name and hit the tab key.

Note that this is just like what we have in bash. Those familiar with UNIX/SUN environment. ๐Ÿ˜€

-The Big K-
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    This does not work in the older versions of DOS.

Vishal, heres what you do - type in the first six characters of the string as if the space was not there, then type in "~1" after that.

So if you wanted to say .. change your directory to "My Documents", then you would say c:/>cd mydocu~1 (enter)

That should work!
  • vishalhak
    vishalhak
    thanks all of of you for your valuable sugesstions

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello everybody, i'm pa1,a new crazyengineer...๐Ÿ˜
I 've got two rams,one of is 256MB RAM another is 1 GB .But that ram does n't work together on my main board ๐Ÿ˜•.What is the problem?Anybody can help...
I dont know how many of you know this, but today someone told me that CE was mentioned in the Economic Times sometime back. Biggie, is it true? If so,...
Office 2007 License Generator
Hello all, I am using four dc motors for my robot and to control them, i use L293D or L298. I want to know if there's an ic capable of...