Help with a new final project idea, or improvement of my idea so far

Hi Crazy Engineers, i'm a Computer science student,and i need some advice on my final year project, i was thinking about doing a web based aplication community that posts projects, articles, received by email, build a forum like this one, anyway i was trying to do something that helps students make their projects, please give a feedback of what you guys think or give me a new idea!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The idea is nice, but I'm not sure it's an entirely new idea. Web based forums are already popular. I'd advice you to add couple of new aspects to your project like -

1. Let people register online and form online teams.
    2. Give every member/team a dedicated project space.
    3. Give them easy way to share code or resources. You'll have to figure this out based on the scope & limitations of your project.
    4. Give them a scheduler to track the project progress.
    5. Incorporate basic project management tools, task distribution tool etc. with email/SMS notifications.
    6. Create a pool where community members can park their project ideas etc.
    7. They may have a Page where they can showcase & share their progress with other members and also seek feedback.

I think it would be a feature rich final year project 😀
  • youngt
    youngt
    Great ideas The_Big_K, some of the ideas you mentioned i already had in mind and in paper like point 1 and 2, but the others are amazing, i will do some investigation on the matter and see what i can come out with!!

Another question, some of the functionality of the page can be easily done with an cms like the organization, logins, and other stuff, so what do you advise me, use an cms or start programming from root..
    cuz if i use an cms it can save me a lot of time and i can be more focused in other features, like the one you provided. but im also afraid that the project doesnt have much credit because of the use of an cms.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good to know that you liked my ideas 😀 The CMS will do most of the job provided you are comfortable with content management systems like WordPress, Jooomla or Drupal. However, it may even restrict your functionality. So I'd recommend you to first freeze the project requirements & specifications and then make a choice. As you said, you'll also need to know whether using CMS is allowed by your professors and CMS will have almost everything coded and lot of functionality can be achieved by using ready-made open source plugins.
  • youngt
    youngt
    Thank you, for the replies, your advices were very helpfully and usefully two,i will try to do what you said(freeze the project requirements and specifications) and talk to my supervisor to see what he thinks about it and then decide what to do.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello friend's As we know struts is most widly used framework in java.Ya it is harder to work with this framework but it will provide lots of fasility that will...
I'm wondering how many crazy engineers over here love Tea 😒. I invite all tea lovers to tell me why they love tea and importance of tea in their lives...
Dr.S.Srinath Department of Computer Science and Engineering ,IIIT Bangalore explained the Concept of Conceptual Designs in Database Management Systems. Feel free to ask your questions and contribute your ideas here......
Dr.S.Srinath Department of Computer Science and Engineering ,IIIT Bangalore explained the Concept of ER Model to Relational Mapping in Database Management Systems. Feel free to ask your questions and contribute...
Dr.S.Srinath Department of Computer Science and Engineering ,IIIT Bangalore explained the Concept of Storage Structures in Database Management Systems. Feel free to ask your questions and contribute your ideas here......