Help needed with engineering basics!

Hey guys.
I should have asked this WAY earlier, but as a selective few of you know, I am an aspiring electrical engineer. I'm not very knowledgeable yet, and that's one of the main reasons I joined the forum.

My question to the general public of CE is this:
Can anyone give me some pointers on how to start off in this vast electrical engineering world? The main things I'm interested in is anywhere from audio/video devices and small electronics such as speakers, amplifiers, and hand held devices; all the way up to computer technology and PCB design.

I don't want copied and pasted links from your Wikipedia search. I want what YOU know. Like I said, I am just starting out, so anything is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Electrical engineering is indeed vast. From what you've said, its most probably you're tending specifically towards "electronics", instead of things like power generation/transmission.

Having an interest in microcontrollers is a good start. It encompasses computer programming and electronics. You can program the "uC" to do execute many actions that also involve audio and video. You'll also be involved in PCB fabrication if you decide to finalize your circuit.

Making your own radio receiver is also a good approach. You can learn a lot of electronics from that, and the end result is worth it.

Thats it for now ๐Ÿ˜€ The Internet is a good source for knowledge, but I personally believe books are much better. Spend time browsing through the titles of the electrical engineering section in your local library (or your nearby uni if you are allowed to). It'll give you a picture of what to expect.
  • KINETIC_JOULES
    KINETIC_JOULES
    Thanks so much, ash! I'll take your advice to heart!
    I've been wanting to take a trip to the library lately anyway. I love to read, and most anything I read, I retain. If it interests me, I remember it.

Btw, did you know your almost to 1000 posts?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    My $0.02 -

I recommend spending some good time with the theory. Go through all the laws & rules of electrical/electronics engineering before you jump into making your own stuff. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • KINETIC_JOULES
    KINETIC_JOULES
    Thanks, Biggie! I was planning on it. ^_^
  • MatlabMentor
    MatlabMentor
    Dear Friend, I am a professor in Electrical Engineering. Its not really a tough subject to learn. As you are new to the subject and you ahve some interest in that area so I personaly advice you to take one good project in which u r interested and then you can understand by one by one when you are trying to attempt each component. If you really want to know some more information ..contact me at at yahoo com
    with best wishes
  • KINETIC_JOULES
    KINETIC_JOULES
    MatlabMentor
    Dear Friend, I am a professor in Electrical Engineering. Its not really a tough subject to learn. As you are new to the subject and you ahve some interest in that area so I personaly advice you to take one good project in which u r interested and then you can understand by one by one when you are trying to attempt each component. If you really want to know some more information ..contact me at at yahoo com
    with best wishes
    All conversations must remain in the forums, so all CEans can learn!
    I do, however, thank you for your advice! I'm currently working on a project. . . or I'm in the process of working on a project. I do realize it is not tough. I'm learning a lot from CE! It'll just take a little time to learn everything I need to know.
  • gohm
    gohm
    While you are in the process of high school take a lot of math & science classes for a good foundation of the basics. Actively work towards a good college. Explore where the field may lead in the future when you plan to start your career so you have an idea where to focus. Currently I would read and study whatever you can get your hands on about engineering in general as well as electrical topics. Investigate the career options in the field so you know what working in the industry is like. Build things like short wave radios, theramins, robots, etc. to get a working knowledge of how things work both as a unit and as individual components. Also buying old used electronic items and taking them apart or modifying them is fun. Learn some basic theory but I think most of that can wait.
  • KINETIC_JOULES
    KINETIC_JOULES
    gohm
    While you are in the process of high school take a lot of math & science classes for a good foundation of the basics. Actively work towards a good college. Explore where the field may lead in the future when you plan to start your career so you have an idea where to focus. Currently I would read and study whatever you can get your hands on about engineering in general as well as electrical topics. Investigate the career options in the field so you know what working in the industry is like. Build things like short wave radios, theramins, robots, etc. to get a working knowledge of how things work both as a unit and as individual components. Also buying old used electronic items and taking them apart or modifying them is fun. Learn some basic theory but I think most of that can wait.
    Lol! I'm constantly taking something apart! And right now, I'm currently in the process of building a speaker cabinet with volume controls and stereo plugins. I posted a thread about it earlier. #-Link-Snipped-#
    Anyway. . . thanks for the advice! It's really appreciated!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey CEans, I've just made this userbar it's one of my fist tries, any ideas for another one are very welcomed & will see if I could design them ๐Ÿ˜›...
Happy Birthday mouli / paresh . Keep rocking Guys. ๐Ÿ˜๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ˜:myparty: -Crazy (Engineers)
Hi, I have Hp 6830 US laptop. In this laptop two left side USB ports are not working for the devices which requires power. Example:- Ports are not working for...
market has been seeing multi level rise in the past few years. If industry sources are to be believed, this upward graph has no sign of coming down or...
Dear All memebers, I am glad to speak with you but i need a favor i am planning to apply for engineer australia and they need 3 projects to demonstrate...