Help buying Antivirus

I have Quickheal installed on my PC. This has expired. Now I want to renew it. The cost of it is INR 2600 for 3 years while Bitdefender costs INR 1589. I want to buy Bit defender, is it okay? or should I continue with Quickheal? Anyone has used Bitdefender?

Does it make any difference which antivirus we are using?

One more thing-from where I should buy?
#-Link-Snipped-# ofers for 1117
and #-Link-Snipped-# for 1589! (so much difference)

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# Why waste 2 grands on antivirus, when there are free antivirus (which are real good, as per reviews on internet) are available. [Use Avast]
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Once installed there is a peace of mind for 3 years. Moreover it is hard to trust anything that is free. Using avast will need to install every month. πŸ˜”
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    @#-Link-Snipped-# What do you feel?
    Also tell me the difference between
    #-Link-Snipped-#

and #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Issue
    Using avast will need to install every month. πŸ˜”
    I visited avast website & free version is available for lifetime! You'll get antivirus but not additional features in free version.
    To activate additional features you have to pay.

Issue
    Moreover it is hard to trust anything that is free.
    Sorry... I gotta laugh on this 😁
    I've been using everything free (Opensource to be precise) for last half decade & honestly I haven't faced any weird problems like Windows users do.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I am sure you are using Genuine Windows machine, then Microsoft security essentials (free) is best option.
    Save your bucks for something else πŸ˜€.

Do you really believe on Indiatimes (I don't, even, believe on their Newspaper😯)
    But if you are really want to buy I recommend ESET Node32 antivirus, #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Issue
    I have Quickheal installed on my PC. This has expired. Now I want to renew it. The cost of it is INR 2600 for 3 years while Bitdefender costs INR 1589. I want to buy Bit defender, is it okay? or should I continue with Quickheal? Anyone has used Bitdefender?

Ok, let's get to the facts straight away, no ANTIVIRUS in this world can protect you.

See, you need antivirus, if you download suspicious files, even without antivirus, you can get it done man !

Ok, let's say you downloaded a file, which seems suspicious, then do one thing, go to virustotal.com and scan the file there, this site contains updated virus signature databases of 46 antivirus programs.

You have to understand, that no Trojan/ Virus / malware would do any harm, unless you activate it ! , yes YOU activate it.

Say for example I gave you a photo, you opened it, and saw it, but If I'm the bad guy, I would bind a Trojan With it, to RAT on you, and you become my slave.

Please first tell me, are you on a Windows machine, I can really help you with this in more detail, you don't even need to spend a single penny, and you will be fully protected, BELIEVE ME !
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Issue
    Once installed there is a peace of mind for 3 years. Moreover it is hard to trust anything that is free. Using avast will need to install every month. πŸ˜”
    Yeah nothing is free in this world..!

Please reply to me, if you're using Windows machine, I can get you done with all this, without spending a single penny, and believe me, you'll be one of the most secure creature.
  • avii
    avii
    I would suggest Kaspersky.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Issue

I have used Norton in the past, and despite being heavy on resources, it has met my expectations. If u have continuous net connection , Panda Cloud Antivirus is also a good choice, I have also heard good reviews about Kaspersky.
    Issue
    You can trust free antivirus, those are almost as good as paid antivirus 😏. For comparison, see this Comparison Of Antivirus Software, it will be helpful πŸ˜€
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Where the AVG users are? I have been using AVG since 7 years, and I used to download lot from torrents, and friends using my pc downloads lot of things from internet.

What I do , I always check my system's performance with AVG scan, and remove all the files if infected. I havent faced any problem.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - the recommended use of your machine & internet is to keep away from torrents, external USBs, downloading from unauthorised websites & emails and not visiting unknown websites. It's a fact that the paid antivirus software solutions are most of the times better (in functionality) than the freeware counterparts.

Which one you'll pick up depends on your budget. I've heard good reviews about QuickHeal and Kaspersky as well. I'd compare the feature set and decide.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    @#-Link-Snipped-# If you are using Windows, then get Microsoft Security Essentials, it's more than enough, and don't need any antivirus.

i personally have learnt, how trojans are made, and to hide them from antiviruses, even if you zip the file having trojans, and you scan it on Virus Total, more than 25 of 46 antivirus wouldn't detect it with anything bad.

So, follow these steps :-

1) Use Microsoft Security Essentials

2) Don't download from suspicious sites, if you are suspicious of any file, then scan it on VirusTotal (Can't be done for file larger than 64 MB)

3) Torrents can't be avoided I know, so , if you really need, you can go with PirateBay Torrents, they can be somehow trusted for torrents.

I hope you get my point πŸ˜‰
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    @#-Link-Snipped-# The funny part is I do not use torrent πŸ˜€

The main role of my machine is performing analysis on ansys (of course small jobs) and surfing internet. I have used windows security essentials in the past and they make computer very very slow.

@all: From your responses, I feel that one can buy any antivirus based on its features. Thank you for your response friends. I am getting Bitdefender. It is fitting my budget well.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - If you're going to be using Torrents, be aware that it's possible for viruses to bypass the security mechanisms and still cause the harm to your machine. While 99% of the viruses and other malware should get filtered; torrents are nasty and I believe one of the primary source of malware spread. I'd recommend staying away from torrents.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    If you havn't used Microsoft security essentials. Please do use it for 1-2 months. You won't regret it.

Edit:
    I have used it for almost a year with all torrents, outside virus full pen drives etc. but my system was clean not problem with that.

Why you feel that if you are paying something then only it will serve you better.
    There is a small software Hijackthis , which is used by most of corporate security departments in case of any virus attack to find out what goes wrong. it's free from TrendMicro.
    Spybot search & destroy is no doubt the best anti-spyware.

If you have extra money please donate to these guys β˜•.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Issue
    @#-Link-Snipped-# The funny part is I do not use torrent πŸ˜€

The main role of my machine is performing analysis on ansys (of course small jobs) and surfing internet. I have used windows security essentials in the past and they make computer very very slow.

@all: From your responses, I feel that one can buy any antivirus based on its features. Thank you for your response friends. I am getting Bitdefender. It is fitting my budget well.
    If you don't use torrents, then no problem for you Microsoft Security Essential is one good tool Micorsoft has made, about slowing your system, I guess, it's because of some other issue not because of MSE.

Just try De Fragmenting your drive on weekly basis, and get Microsoft Security Essentials, I'm sure , (Damn Sure) you won't regret.

PS: Don't waste your money !
    As Anoop said, if you really have much, you can donate it to some good developers who work for free out there πŸ˜‰

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm interested in knowing the reasons why Safari, Chrome and Firefox have different memory utilisation and battery consumption rates. Each of these browsers uses a different rendering engine (Google's Chrome...
Just spotted this new super car from Nissan and it looks to have arrived from future. Check Nissan BladeGlider on display at the Tokyo Motor Show -
Following the leads by Airtel & Reliance Jio, Aircel could be the next mobile network operator in India to launch 4G services. The operator is currently testing the network in...
Repeaters are basically regenerators of input signals.It is used in DCOM system to maintain it's stock amplitude which reduces due to attenuation when long distance from source to destination is...
Superbike fanatics - here's an interesting superbike shootout. Check out this video that talks about the top production superbikes down to what 'really' matters. All up for the discussions, folks!