Help Buying A Laptop

I am buying a laptop. I have finalized on HP pavillion.
SPECIFICATIONS OF HP PAVILION 15-E034TX LAPTOP (3RD GEN CI5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 1GB GRAPH) (SILVER & BLACK)
HP Pavilion 15-e034TX Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 1GB Graph) Rs. Price in India - Buy HP Pavilion 15-e034TX Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 1GB Graph) SIlver & Black Online - HP : Flipkart.com

Flipkart price: INR 40390

Dealer price: INR 41390

which one should I buy?

one of my friends bought same laptop which he got for 45000 (he paid for extended warranty total 3 years).

From where should I buy (any other trusted website other than flipkart)? Is there standard HP website for India?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# : If you are worried about buying the machine from an online website, Flipkart is nice. But if you aren't sure about Flipkart, I'd strongly recommend Amazon, check - #-Link-Snipped-#. They've listed the machine for 39,990 and that includes all the taxes and shipping.

I've been reading a lot of positive reviews about Amazon's service and if I were to buy goods online, I'd give Amazon a try. They've impressed me in the past.

Of course, they do have Cash On Delivery option as well. You may exercise that if you want to pay only when the product arrives at your doorstep.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Bro Issue, I am just letting you know from experience that 41K is a good amount and you could opt for a Sony Vaio instead. Moreover the 15 inch size is too big and heavy to carry around. 14 inch would be perfect for a traveller. I am using a Black and Red combo of this model for past one year and I have no regrets: #-Link-Snipped-#

Pros.: Battey life is still the same after 1 year. RAM can be expanded upto 16GB. Very unboring design and specs.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    @#-Link-Snipped-# I definitely stress you to go for an extended warranty as said by your friend.Laptops really dont have a high lifetime and if you have a additional warranty , It will be a backup for you.Laptop battery especially will lose its charge retaining capacity and your extended warranty will be at your help.Also consider the suggestions by Kaustubh Katdare and if you like to try online shopping,go for flipkart .HP users from my friends circle also had given good feedbacks and its look make a edge over the same priced laptops.Price tag is impressive with fully loaded features.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I have tried buying small items like books from flipkart, and the service has been very good. But given that I am buying laptop now, I want the best price.

Now I checked amazon, so I am saving few more rupees (thanks to you).
    I have three questions:

1. Is it better to buy from a dealer or online?

2. Do I get value added services if I buy online? like extended warranty?

3. Should I prefer Dell or HP with same configurations?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    anoopthefriend
    Bro Issue, I am just letting you know from experience that 41K is a good amount and you could opt for a Sony Vaio instead. Moreover the 15 inch size is too big and heavy to carry around. 14 inch would be perfect for a traveller. I am using a Black and Red combo of this model for past one year and I have no regrets: #-Link-Snipped-#
    Thanks Anoop, I am buying for practising 3D modelling and analysis software.

I would have bought 14" screen sony vaio but is not a very good option (from the reviews). I am basically not buying it for travelling
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    1. Nope. Both sell the same product at different prices.
    2. There are 'deals' when you buy online. Amazon I believe has the best ones.
    3. Read reviews of respective models before you buy. Don't follow any brand blindly; unless it's Apple 😀
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Issue
    Thanks Anoop, I am buying for practising 3D modelling and analysis software.

I would have bought 14" screen sony vaio but is not a very good option (from the reviews). I am basically not buying it for travelling
    As long as you're comfortable with it. The HP model you've selected is also good in configuration. I suggest you visit a showroom and look and feel various models before you buy from online.

Please Note @#-Link-Snipped-#: The hinges of the screen for the laptops which you decide to buy should be strong (mine is metallic). Have seen many cases where the plastic layer on which these hinges are connected breaks after a while due to opening and closing of lids.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Always try to check the local dealer before you buy it.I will go for dealer if I am interested in buying a laptop.online shopping gives you deals but For the bigger purchaces I would go for dealers and get extended warranty.I had used Dell but battery backup is poor and hardware seems slick and I lost my keyboard with normal usage.Better go with HP or Sony .Post your review after your purchase on the product.Hope it helps you.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Issue
    I am buying for practising 3D modelling and analysis software.
    Since you are going to use lots of graphics processing, I would suggest you to go with extended hardware warrantee with at least 3 years.
    Laptop at mid range aren't capable to handle graphics processing for long time. after 1.5-2 years graphics card will be busted and new motherboard will cost you ~10k.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    @#-Link-Snipped-# What do you mean by 'mid range'?

Another thing what is the procedure for extended warranty? I have heard that, I need to buy laptop first and then fill a form of warranty for 2 years extension for INR 1999. Is it correct?
    Is there any student's concession with HP?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Issue
    @#-Link-Snipped-# What do you mean by 'mid range'?

Another thing what is the procedure for extended warranty?
    mid range: upto 50K devices come into this.
    For an example, If you handle dell inspiron series and xps side by side you can feel the difference.
    yes, for extended warantee you need to pay extra.
    One more thing I forget, see if you can go with any Lenovo business model laptop (Thinkpad series) without graphics they are sturdy and better for long time, if your software will able to run smoothly on without dedicated graphics.

ps: if you have any friend in Dell or HP, you can ask them to buy refurbished machines. you can easily fetch 70K machine in less than 40k 👍.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    if you can consider other brands, try
    Asus K53SV-SX520D Laptop (2nd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 750GB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph) Rs.130000 Price in India - Buy Asus K53SV-SX520D Laptop (2nd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 750GB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph) Brown Aluminium Online - ASUS : Flipkart.com

And for the extending warranty, use your laptop for 11 months, and then get it extended just before the warranty is going to be expired. Most of the companies offer such services.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    See, Dell is now named as a top brand, so they have slightly high prices, when compared to HP and some other companies having same spec.

Now, I would recommend you to try for physical stores, and that too not should be Multi-brand at all.
    If you are going for HP then go to the showroom of HP only, and they will offer you great things there.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    For graphics processing go with 7200 rpm HDD or better upgrate to SSD later.

Lenovo ThinkPad E530 (32591K8) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 2GB/ 500GB/ DOS) Rs. Price in India - Buy Lenovo ThinkPad E530 (32591K8) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 2GB/ 500GB/ DOS) Black Online - Lenovo : Flipkart.com series in store. I am using it's brother business series T430. I like sturdiness and keyboard.👍
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    It is really confusing. Last time when my juniors were doing analysis for Baja project, only the ones who had Sony Vaio could do it. Others said that their laptops cannot sustain such processing. Some people say HP, some say DELL, LENOVO.

Can anyone give a review of Sony VAIO Fit 15E F15218SN/B Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ 1GB Graph) Rs. Price in India - Buy Sony VAIO Fit 15E F15218SN/B Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ 1GB Graph) Black Online - SONY : Flipkart.com
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Best is Samsung as most of the parts like ram and hard disk are of Samsung so you may try that too

plus first analyse your requirements as what software you'll be running and requirement for them then only think of some company and price.

I have a Samsung laptop and is working pretty good.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    hi guys, I am bumping this thread because I want to buy a laptop too.

1. I have a limited budget, around 45K INR.
    2. I am not fan of any brand.
    3. General usage will be browsing internet (facebook and torrents ) most of the time.
    4. Will install couple of text editing software or documentation software.
    5. Emails, general usage and small games.

I am buying this for a friend, so I need suggestions.. Planning to use it long term about 5 - 6 years atleast!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    My recommendations have changed in the recent past. I used to recommend Dell; but I sincerely believe that Samsung has better laptops as compared to Dell or most other brands. If you can find Samsung for the price point; do give it a look. Since the usage is limited to Internet and basic text editing; any modern processor should do well for the next few years.

Samsung NP350V5C-S02IN seems to be a nice option.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    hi guys, I am bumping this thread because I want to buy a laptop too.

1. I have a limited budget, around 45K INR.
    2. I am not fan of any brand.
    3. General usage will be browsing internet (facebook and torrents ) most of the time.
    4. Will install couple of text editing software or documentation software.
    5. Emails, general usage and small games.

I am buying this for a friend, so I need suggestions.. Planning to use it long term about 5 - 6 years atleast!
    Go for either DELL, Samsung, HP, Lenovo.

Just a big NO for HCL laptops, they are like wasting your money.

If you want to get something good in limited budget, go for either Samsung or HP.

I bought Samsung NP300E5X-S01N.
    It's very good, having 3rd gen core i5, 750 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM.

But it's a DOS machine, if you specifically want Windows , then you have to pay around 5-6k extra. I got this for about 36k and it's really nice.
    +
    I'm suggesting this because the usage you mentioned, is same as mine.

So, I think it would be a good option.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# Looking at your usage, I would suggest you to try latest Chromebook. Just make sure it's not running on ARM. Buy the Chromebook which is running on Haswell 'cuz Iris Pro is just too damn awesome.
    It will cost less than half of your budget.

Check this out : #-Link-Snipped-#
    (This ain't haswell, so wait while Haswell comes to India)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It's a big news day! Microsoft has decided to acquire Nokia's Devices & Services business and get full control of Nokia's patents and mapping services. Nokia, through a press released...
friends, i wanted to develop an android app, recycle bin for android..i wanted to know once the user deletes a file where does it go..! Any idea about the app..will...
iBall, the electronics company in India based out of Mumbai, has launched its first projector phone. Called as the iBall Andi 4a, the all new smartphone from the Indian manufacturer...
An engineering student from India, Arul Kumar, has found a critical vulnerability on Facebook that let any user delete photos from anyone's account without the owner's consent or knowledge.The social...
Hi CEans, I am out here with a big question that whether there is any recovery software or app available for mobile phones( smart phones) in the market.You may include...