Hello, pls help me about DC generator and Reverse of power

Hello, I'm an EE student and study in 3rd year. I'd receive an assignment about "Reverse Power Relay". My objective is to create a device which can detect a Watt hour Meter that connect to DC Generator & Moter. This device will alert if the reverse of power exceed its limit. But I still have some question

1. What might be the cause of the reverse direction of DC motor & Generator rotation ?
2. What happen if DC motor & generator rotate in an opposite direction ?

If anyone feel free to help me out, you can post your comment here or mail me to

Thank you 😀)

Replies

• KenJackson
    KenJackson
    I'm not certain I know what the requirement is, but I doubt it has to do with reversing the direction of rotation.

The main thing that comes to mind is that some home owners and businesses now have solar panels on their roofs (or wind turbines) that generate DC current that is converted to AC by an inverter which connects to their power main. Often, it will supply less than the building uses, so they just draw less power from the power company. But if they produce more power than they use, the power can actually flow back out the service entrance.

I understand that some places have laws that require power companies to buy excess power produced in this way, but others disallow the practice. Either way, the building's power meter would have to detect that power is flowing out instead of in so the customer isn't charged as if they were consuming it.

The other thing that comes to mind is a motor-generator set. When I was in the Navy many years ago, we had motor-generator sets that would convert AC power to DC and vice-versa. It was just two motors on one shaft. We would either supply power to the AC machine so it would generate DC power, or supply DC power to generate AC power. It would inherently and automatically switch back and forth depending on the relative bus voltages. But the rotation was always in the same direction.

Now that solid state rectifiers and inverters are so capable, I doubt there's much demand for those any more. And I'm not sure how your relay would fit in anyway.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    TakkyKun
    Hello, I'm an EE student and study in 3rd year. I'd receive an assignment about "Reverse Power Relay". My objective is to create a device which can detect a Watt hour Meter that connect to DC Generator & Moter. This device will alert if the reverse of power exceed its limit. But I still have some question

1. What might be the cause of the reverse direction of DC motor & Generator rotation ?
    2. What happen if DC motor & generator rotate in an opposite direction ?

If anyone feel free to help me out, you can post your comment here or mail me to

Thank you 😀)
    do not post email id in public forum.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi, this is chandru. want to share and learn more electrical knowledge. thank you.
Hey Guys, I'm sort of new here and this is my first post/thread. I want to introduce myself first: My name is Ajit Krisshna, and I'm a 3rd year engineering...
Hi! i am planning to do a project on image processing. It deals with input as an image and searches the database for similar images. Itll be similar to tinyeye.com,...
Hi there! Recently we had an experiment regarding diode rectification. we constructed two circuits - one for half wave rectification and another for bridge rectification. For both CKT we used...
CyanogenMod developers have released the stable version of Syanogen Mod 7.1 to public. Download link available at the end of this post. The team released the beta over 60 days...