Have you used LinkedIn for job search?

I'm wondering how many of you have actively used LinkedIn for job search? I've been a LinkedIn user for a long time and haven't found anyone contact us for job through linkedin. So far, I only know one friend who got a lead to a job through his contact on linkedin and even got selected.

If anyone's got experience to share, please do it so that our fellow engineers can benefit. Looking forward to your responses.

Replies

• Shreyas Sule
    Shreyas Sule
    I have and am using LinkedIn extensively to find a job. I don't think many people in India have active updated presence on LinkedIn and hence this is not the preferred option for job seekers (true vice versa). For fresh graduates, things are different in US where creating and maintaining a crisp LinkedIn profile is necessary to market yourself and impress recruiters. I have found LinkedIn very useful platform for networking and showcasing my profile. It also is a convenient medium to search and apply for jobs. I hope job recruiters and seekers start taking LinkedIn more seriously in India too!
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    I agree with Shreyas, have done the same. Still doing the same as I plan my move back home!
  • ram_149955
    ram_149955
    I am in U.S. and here recruiters looks for local people on LinkedIn. I was contacted by accenture and K2Partnering for some of the job openings they had. What was surprising is one guy asked me why I did not list my job description on the linkedin profile instead of just mentioning software engineer at some company.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Looks like the recruiters especially in the US are actively using LinkedIn for candidate search. Haven't seen the trend pick up in India. How's it in Malaysia, #-Link-Snipped-# ?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yep, in Malaysia LinkedIn is used intensively for candidate search (for executive positions and above). The trend is also to add recruiters as your contacts so they can headhunt easier and see who your "references" are in the industry.
  • Shreyas Sule
    Shreyas Sule
    It seems use of LinkedIn and similar professional networking sites is on rise in India. Found some interesting facts from #-Link-Snipped-# about Indian recruiting process:
    1. Indian recruiters are leaders in world in believing their organization uses data to understand (talent acquisition/recruiting) effectiveness and opportunities.
    2. As expected, Compensation and lack of awareness is the biggest problem for recruiters while recruiting.
    3. About 41% of recruiters say job applicants view opportunities on mobile and companies are increasingly investing in making their job postings and application process more mobile friendly. What do you all think?
    4. Indian recruiters still rely on internet recruiting databases compared to global scale. Is it good or bad?
    5. Employee referrals are on top for recruiters to find good talent. Networking helps!

Its good to see recruiters are investing in LinkedIn in India. Even though the sample in this survey was around 300, I hope it reflects the overall situation.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The month of June 2015 will be one second longer. Because of the Earth's rotation, this month is going to be longer by a second - that the midnight coordinated...
What is IES or Indian Engineering Services Exam? Union Public Services Commission (UPSC) conducts the Engineering Services Exam or ESE 2016 is an entrance exam for graduates who wish to...
There are many websites around that follow the model of FreeCharge. I have used the website many times and have received really good deals for recharging my phone through them....
Hi friends, In context to object oriented programming: - What is the difference between data abstraction and data encapsulation?Are they both implementing information hiding? 'A class encapsulates the methods and...
Newest entrant in the Android market is Passion 660 from PHICOMM, the brand from Shanghai Feixun Communication Co., Ltd. a Chinese enterprise that has launched several smartphones in India. The...