Have you heard of AIRLESS TYRES??

We are much familiar with automobile tyres.. Whether it is a two wheeler or a four wheeler, there had been many problems in maintaining those pneumatic tyres.. Very tough..๐Ÿ˜”

We have to fill the air periodically and suppose if there is a puncture, we have to rectify it immediately or else the car wont move.. Then came the Tubeless tyres.. It became the most wanted one.. The recent trend is the self-inflating tyres where we don't have to fill air by ourselves..

The latest and next generation advancement in vehicle tyre model is the AIRLESS TYRES. This is a special type of tyre where we don't need to fill air.. The concept behind this was proposed earlier in 2005 itself.. Now they had checked this for AUDI and for some trucks and cranes..
Look for yourself the next gen tyres..

How the Tweel Airless Tire Works | HowStuffWorks

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Funny how things always come full circle, the first tires were solid, airless design. I am a bit skeptical of the longevity and durability of this design using the current material, specially for any sport driving.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Yes, I have heard of Airless tyres and not only Tweel ones. Bullock carts and horse carts have airless tyres, the first cycles had airless tyres....but coming to the point, Tweel Tyres are good but not suitable for High Speed. Some more research is needed before it finally becomes available to general public.
  • veena912
    veena912
    yes i came to know that only michelin is the only company which has prepared a audi for airless tyres For manufacturers, i presume that this airless tyres will lead to reduce the number of components in a vehicle and the material made for airless tyres may be some polymer of type polyurethane i am not sure its just an assumption.
    hope for quick answer
  • Tkelly
    Tkelly
    Good innovation.
    This will save lot of money.
    According to me hardness of the tyres will be different for different types of vehicles.
    Is it correct ?

Tom
    CAD Outsourcing Services India | Indovance Inc
  • vvishwaskumar
    vvishwaskumar
    sorry
    as the airless tyre made from some plastic/polymer material ... what abt its external surface....will it not skid during braking...?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    I guess, also these tyres do not provide smooth rolling over the road ? ๐Ÿ˜•

Correct me if wrong.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    What is Tweel tyer??
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    gg_gaurav
    What is Tweel tyer??
    Hi gg_gaurav !

Have you checked this How the Tweel Airless Tire Works | HowStuffWorks
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    The Airless tire concept doent appeal to me so much.

I'm a bit doubtful about how much would be the deformation of the spokes when under tension, and how flat would the outer rim supporting the shear band go when the vehicle goes over a pertrubant surface.

How would the tire react to sudden small hills and dales on the road, and wouldnt the ride be BUMPY with this.

Secondly about Poly Eurathene, are there any chances that Poly Eurathene may show some hardening due to exposure to air, and end up in stiffening of the spokes. Then the tension in them will reduce and chances are of cracking.

And can they really well handle high speed driving with jerks.

These are thee questions needed to be answered, before the commercial use of the product.
  • Red Hawk
    Red Hawk
    Sorry guys for replying late..
    @Tkelly: Yes hardness is different for different materials. This polymer material is a result of various tests which would have included hardness test also.. After testing all the materials this is finalized..

@vvishwaskumar: This is not a plastic so that it is completely smooth.. It is just a polymer.. See the figure given there.. The tyre is actually rough enough..

@shalini: Maybe the tyre does not give a smooth ride now but there will be advancements in this field in the coming year.. After all this is just an idea now.. When it comes to serious production all these factors will be cleared correctly..

@rohan: Maybe there will be advancements like shock absorbers of greater capacities to bear that sudden shocks.. And about that polyurethane, i don't know about its response to climatic conditions as i am weak in chemistry.. Currently i think high speeds are not possible with this..

As i said earlier this idea of developing an airless tyre was there in early 2005 itself.. Now they have just put forth their efforts to make one.. I am sure there will be a lot of advancements in this field..
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    @Rohan_SK Good points kept. Liked it. Keep it up ๐Ÿ˜€

Red Hawk
    @shalini: Maybe the tyre does not give a smooth ride now but there will be advancements in this field in the coming year.. After all this is just an idea now.. When it comes to serious production all these factors will be cleared correctly..
    Willing to know what kind of improvements can be done as a Mechanical engineer. Any ideas? ๐Ÿ˜•
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Increase the size of the cushion in your seat, may be!! Then the ride will be smoother.. ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Just kidding!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I was searching to buy a good and robust software to design centrifugal blowers and fans which can generate design, fabrication CAD drawings and plot curves. can anyone guide me...
Hi everyone..Dis is Gopala Krishnan, an electrical engineering student in India..studying in Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal University.. My cousin recommended this site to me..and it looks really helpful and...
Hi.. I'm an electrical engg. student entering 2nd year. I want to get some practical training in my core subjects during my holidays. I'd like to work in an internship...
Posting this thread on behalf of CEan: English-Scared as his machine is infected with a virus that messes up the keyboard. Here's the PM I received from E-S: my system...
People have always been inclined to join mobs - most people have at least one story to tell about a time that they got swept up in or had to...