Has Anti-Ragging Law In India Helped Bring Down Ragging In Colleges?

Just read the news that a girl committed suicide after her seniors in college ragged her for over a year. In her suicide note, the girl mentioned that she couldn't tolerate the harassment from her seniors. After complaining about ragging to the faculty member, she was advised to 'follow the orders from her seniors' if she wanted to continue in the college. Under Section 23 read with Section 10 (b), (g), (p) and (q) of AICTE Act, 1987; ragging has been banned in all Indian colleges.

We've several CEans who're studying engineering and it'd be very informative to know whether the anti-ragging law has helped bring down ragging in colleges. It's a shame that even today we continue to hear cases of students committing suicides because of ragging.

There are a few questions to answer -

1. Does ragging still happen in engineering colleges?

2. Are the faculty members aware of it?

3. Do the seniors who get involved in ragging get punished by the college?

4. Do ragging cases get reported to the police?

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    To answer your question
    1)Yes though ragging eas strictly prohibited in colleges it still continues but the level has decreased.๐Ÿ˜ฒ
    2)Faculty members are aware of it but they dont consider it as an serious issue.They support seniors and to be frank there is political influence also.
    3)In our college those who had ragged juniors had been sent out of the hostel but it was not a serious punishment.
    4)NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO they try to save the college name.Until any serious suicide or case would be filed there is no barrior for ragging people.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Has anti ragging law in India help to bring down ragging in college. My answer is 'NO'. Law cannot change people's mind. Same as corruption is treated has a offense by government of India, but still its there in this society.

yes, ragging is still there in colleges. What a junior student can do?. Complain about it to his/her faculty member. they will call up the senior students and warn them. That's it. nothing more than that. It is not taken as much serious issue... for punishment or to police level
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Wow!, so Gujarat seems to be perfect place for studies if you don't want to get ragged by seniors.

Honestly speaking, There is NO ragging going on in most of the colleges in Gujarat.
    except some like CEPT,NID.
    I've never heard that this boy or girl is ragged. Even if it happens, it's scarce. Very rare.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Abhishek Rawal
    Wow!, so Gujarat seems to be perfect place for studies if you don't want to be ragged.

Honestly speaking, There is NO ragging going on in most of the colleges in Gujarat.
    except some like CEPT,NID.
    I've never heard that this boy or girl is ragged. Even if it happens, it's scarce. Very rare.
    you are blessed man.Here in other states we experience more ragging and there is no strict punishments for the raggers.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Ragging - is it good or bad?

There is always a level of respect that you expect from a Junior. If the Junior does not give you that respect, then it's your fault. This is the main reason why people do ragging in colleges.

Students of Indian Origin do not know the meaning of respect for each other. They boast a lot and often neglect coordination and cooperation among themselves - atleast the majority of them! The others do it because the senior gang members tell them the importance of gangism and brotherhood (F**k them) and also tell you that you get famous in college if you are part of a big gang and stuff (watch The Godfather Parts 1, 2 and 3 you a%^$%^les)

To be frank, I've had my fair share of ragging when I was in college. The ragging was so intense that it often resulted in gang fights and serious after effects. Resulting from this, about 75% of my batchmates decided not to get involved in ragging or gang fights after 1st year. But guess what, we were not given any respect by majority of the juniors - except those who knew us personally. Even, working as the Secretary of the ECE Association of my college was not easy as I had to tackle both the Devil and the Sea at the same time! Often our teachers would also say that juniors keep disobeying and misbehaving because the seniors left them to their own will.

Personally, I don't support ragging and was never a part of any fight, although I had no choice but to be a silent member of a gang for the first year - which I left once I entered the second year inspite of threat from other gang members. Your personality should be understood by people around you, and if you're good to people, they'll definitely be good to you. This has worked in my favor most of the time in handling Senior-Junior relations.

And to those who still want to rag and shine in their colleges - grow up you dumbwits - there are more ways to become famous in college than to rag your junior!

And in my college, the management knew about all the main players of the gang, but they never really took a strict action which could have stopped the ragging and gang fights. One reason was because, in order to increase the membership to one gang, the students would bring new admissions to the college for which the management would pay the commission. For each admission, you'd get around 10K INR (this was when I was in first year) and by the time I got in fourth year, it had increased to 25K INR per admission for a student. So it's a win-win situation! And I know students who make lots of money just by taking admissions for new candidates to various colleges all over India. I infact had a senior who got about 40 lakh INR as profit (I was in 2nd year then) and he gave away a booze party to all him gang members and friends in which liquor of about 2 lakh INR was served!!!!
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    YES!! definitely. #-Link-Snipped-# : I believe we are from same college. If you come to visit now and see the scenario, you will just keep on wondering what the hell is happening over here.

I totally agree with ragging to be LIMITED to a point where you don't hurt others' integrity and self respect. But INTROS! If we pull out a junior and ask his name/details, you are most likely to be finding yourself in Disciplinary Committees office the next day. And they are seeming to be OVERUSING the law.

I find some arrogant pricks to ORDER their seniors to fill in water bottle for them while playing. I mean WTF? No sense of respect or fear
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I am blessed then My college we have nearly zero ragging and even if it occurs It will be during sports practise where we really drill juniors to make our teams better.

Other than that no other to the best of my knowledge

Ragging is like a evil which makes a person be feared as a DON. But If proper communication is not existing then the main idea about college life (i.e) Team life will be ruined

So it's better if ragging is removed and the steps taken by government has reduced ragging but not removed it completely
  • mail154
    mail154
    1.Ragging Still Occurs.
    2.100%
    3.0%
    4.10%

Ragging has decreased to some extent but not at all. It still has its effects on juniors. Still so called senior people hurt the juniors. Interestingly more than the final year students,the 2nd or 3rd year so called seniors rag juniors much. I don't find any funny thing in it. the city people may take it is a funny thing and let it happen and don't care for such things. but students from rural or semi urban can't tolerate this and they are heavily affected mentally. still there is no strict enforcement on the law. anti-ragging committee is functional only in name boards of 90% of colleges.
    they don't care about it. though the junior reports it,it would be bitter for him to lead a life there for the next 3-4 years. for the reason most of them went unreported. though it happens at a greater extent,the issue was covered to save the institution name ๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ˜
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    If you compare ragging upto 2004, there is no ragging these days.
    In most of govt. colleges, ragging is very less now a days, there is high risk of getting expelled.
    In private institution it is still there upto some extent.
    It is decreasing year by year.

I will never support ragging but I do support PDP ๐Ÿ‘€
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Ragging in real term as we say, was before 10years. Nowadays, its a crime to even ask a guys name. They are over using this law as i said earlier. In private i find it more strict. Government colleges are more ragged as in my experience.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I am using gcc compiler to compile the program and build an exe I used this command to compile gcc program.cpp -g -o program (generates program.exe and runs fine)...
๐ŸŽ‰ UGC(university Grants Commision) has announced that A student who is pursuing a B.sc course can apply for B.Tech and those who is pursuing engineering degree can apply for bachelor...
After the phenomenal launch of Microsoft Surface, though the tablet set the tech savvy audience on powerful discussions, the same didn't reflect on the company's sales charts. And therefore, not...
Yes CEans I was lucky to read this article that General Motors who is one of the best automobile manufacturers in world claimed to be at no.1 position in PATENT...
Skoda India has officially announced the new Skoda Octavia for Indian markets. The Octavia brand, darling of automobile enthusiasts all over India has just made a comeback. We wrote about...