Hardness Test

hi all engineers..
i want to pass comments on hardness test.I am posting here one quection on that basis we can chat or comment..
"what are the different hardness test?Explain them in brief?"
I know that the above quection is simple & I can find its answer from any book..
But main quection is that "Which test you think to be best & why??๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•"
So i wating for your comments...๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    What substrate/material are you wanting to test, that will effect the answer.
  • Tkelly
    Tkelly
    What hardness you would like to test.
    For rubber, different tester is used. i.e. for measuring Shore "A" hardness.
    For metal Rockwell or brinell hardness tester is used.

Tom
    CAD Outsourcing Services India | Indovance Inc
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    I want in overall materials.
  • g_rakesh2
    g_rakesh2
    I think Vickers Hardness test is the best method.

As it is the most easiest method to use than other hardness testing methods.
    and also calculations are made irrespective of size of the material and material hardness.
    The basic principle, as with all common measures of hardness, is to observe the questioned material's ability to resist plastic deformation from a standard source. The Vickers test can be used for all metals and has one of the widest scales among hardness tests.
    The hardness number is determined by the load over the surface area of the indentation and not the area normal to the force, and is therefore not a pressure.
    The hardness number is not really a true property of the material and is an empirical value that should be seen in conjunction with the experimental methods and hardness scale used. When doing the hardness tests the distance between indentations must be more than 2.5 indentation diameters apart to avoid interaction between the work-hardened regions.
    The hardness number is determined by the load over the surface area of the indentation and not the area normal to the force, and is therefore not a pressure.

The hardness number is not really a true property of the material and is an empirical value that should be seen in conjunction with the experimental methods and hardness scale used. When doing the hardness tests the distance between indentations must be more than 2.5 indentation diameters apart to avoid interaction between the work-hardened regions.
  • gohm
    gohm
    That is a good test, however it is designed for metals. Each specific media will require a different testing meathod. If you want an all incompassing test as the OP seems to want, you will be limited to things like the Mohs scale.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    Thanks for comment on k Vickers Hardness test .
    What is you think about "Shore Scleroscope Hardness Test"?
  • gohm
    gohm
    It tests elasticity or rebound effect of the material. It too is designed for metal, not overall which you are after.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    gohm=>
    It tests elasticity or rebound effect of the material. It too is designed for metal, not overall which you are after.
    Yes you are write it just test rebound effect.But you know that rebouned effect is due to conversion of applied fore.In renbound process specialy for Shore Scleroscope Hardness Test there is a rod which is kep on certain height and allow to fall on metal pice. When it strice on metal some KE is used for making mark & remaing gives to rod as KE in opposite direction.
  • gohm
    gohm
    True, no dissagreement from me. Just wanted to make sure it was known that it is not quite a universal material test as you are searching for.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi does anyone know how to asscess the extended register from the MS debug. By extended registers i mean the eax, ecx ........ I have been able to use the...
the first task of my project is to implement an interface between a microcontroller and usb device(usb bluetooth dongle) i want the microcontroller to be able to control the bluetooth...
Hey Guys!! I would like to know what is Siebel about.As far as i know its a tool something like SAP.Does any of you work in Siebel or if you...
hi guys im searching all around for a nice topic to do as my project 4 8th sem. i intend to do some challenging and relevant project. Plz help me...
hi guys im working on a project in which i want to press buttons of my mobile through AT commands via hyperterminal...so i hve tried on samsung c100 but it...