Hands Free 'Eye Mouse' Developed By Indian Engineering Students As Final Year Project

Four final year engineering students have developed a hands-free 'eye-mouse' that aims at letting the differently abled people use mouse on their computer screen in hands-free mode. The students, Shruthi Shettigar, Prasad Nayak, Vanishiri and Sandhya Seth from Srinivas Institiute Of Technology, Mangalore worked under guidance of professors Sathish Kumar K and Bheema Shastry (HOD) of Electronics & Communications department to make this eye mouse act as your regular input device controlled by eye movements.

The assembly comprises of a sensor that monitors when a user is in front of the computer and turns on the web-cam. Once the web-cam is on, it begins capturing user's eyeball movements and feeds it to the software application developed by the student team. If the user wants to open a folder or click on an icon, all he/she has to do is stare closely at the target. The mouse cursor will follow the eyeball movements and can be guided to any location on the screen.

slide

The team says that the overall cost of development of the project is only Rs. 5000 (~$100) and are trying to get a patent. The team plans to turn the project into a commercial venture once they get the patent. We wish the team all the best!

Eye Mouse isn't entirely a new invention. We found a video of Eye Mouse project submitted to EGYPT 09 Imagine Cup. Check following video that describes how it works -

We believe that this would act as an inspiration for all the final & third year engineering students who're looking for innovative academic project ideas. All you have to do is look for a problem that you can solve and then use your technical and engineering skills to develop solutions.

If the SIT team is reading this article, we'd love to know more about your project and welcome you to share some information about your project with our fellow engineers.

Via: ‘Eye mouse’ for the physically challenged - The Economic Times

Replies

• Saijayadeep
    Saijayadeep
    Simply superb..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm looking for a rechargeable battery pack and a suitable charger. I've been reading mixed reviews about Kodak, Sony, Eveready, Fujicell, Nikon and so on but haven't been able to...
Samsung India has added a new gadget to its range of Galaxy smartphones with Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3. Those of you who would think bigger is better and aren't satisfied...
Hello everyone out there.I am a little curious about this service-now tool which is cloud based itim tool.How many of u are experienced in this or have idea that how...
Samsung's Galaxy S4 is rapidly penetrating all the hearts worldwide and we're getting updates from the development of the next flagship launch expected from Samsung - The Galaxy Note 3....
can anybody please tell me, how the connection established... like eg when we give www.yahoo.com what exactly happens, and how it is connected to that site?