Guidelines for project/thesis report writing

Dear All,
I hope this information will useful while writing thesis/ project report
This additional information to
" How To Write A Project Report-by Kaustubh Katdare"
Best wishes,
Thesis123
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**GUIDELINES FOR THESIS WRITING (B.E/B.TECH/M.E/M.TECH)**
1. General a. Lists of figures, tables, variables, symbols, acronyms etc. should be included, before the start of the first Chapter.
b. The abstract should not be more than one page.
c. A declaration stating originality of work / results should be appended.
d. Any work which amounts to plagiarism should be totally avoided.
e. The entire thesis should be free from grammatical and spelling mistakes.
f. Any downloaded matter or tables or equations, if used, should be re-written.
g. The headings and sub-headings should be properly numbered Chapter wise.
h. Extension work may be shown in the Conclusions Chapter.
i. Uniform font and size should be followed for the titles of all Chapters.
j. Uniform indent should be followed throughout the text of the thesis.
k. Similarly uniformity should be maintained for all headings and sub-headings.
l. Subscripts and superscripts should be followed properly.
m. The title of the thesis should be concise and clearly convey the work presented.
2. First Chapter
a. The first Chapter should clearly reflect the importance and objectives of the thesis.
b. A brief literature review may be shown in first or second Chapter.
c. The organization of the thesis may be mentioned in the first Chapter.
d. The pages should be numbered starting from the first page of first Chapter.
e. The pages before the first Chapter should be numbered in small roman numbers.
3. Formatting
a. The spacing of lines should be one or one & half spacing depending on size of the report.
b. The font size of the main text should be uniformly 10 or 12 points throughout the thesis.
c. Left justification or left & right justification can be used for main text.
d. The Left margin should be 1.25” – 2.00” and the Right, Top and Bottom margins should be 1.00” – 1.50”
4. References
a. The spacing of lines should be one or one & half spacing depending on size of the report.
b. The font size of the main text should be uniformly 10 or 12 points throughout the thesis.
c. Left justification or left & right justification can be used for main text.
d. The Left margin should be 1.25” – 2.00” and the Right, Top and Bottom margins should be 1.00” – 1.50”
e. The references could be technical papers of journals, conferences, symposia, workshops & seminars, technical details in reports, manuals, text books and software used.
f. The important contents of referred material should be in the following order:
g. Author name(s), Title of the paper, Publication title, Year of publication
5. Appendices
a. Important programs, derivations, data and any other useful material may be shown in the appendices with proper numbering.
b. The appendices should be numbered in capital Roman numbers or capital letters from first Chapter to the last Chapter in ascending order. (ex. Appendix I or Appendix A).
c. Using same ascending order numbers, the appendices should be shown with details after the last Chapter.
d. All the appendices should be referred in the main text.
6. Equations
a. All the equations used in the thesis should be properly numbered Chapter wise[ eg. Eq.3.1 or eq. 3.1 or 3.1 or (3.1) ]
b. The equations shown should be clearly referred and identified as Eq. or eq. followed by equation number.
c. Repetition of equations should be avoided. If needed, it may be referred by its number.
d. Equations should never be mixed up with main text.
e. They should be shown as separate objects and ‘Equation Editor’ can be used.
7. Tables
a. The tables shown in the thesis should be clearly referred and explained and they should be numbered properly.
b. At the top of the table, it should be identified as Table, followed by table number (ex. Table 3.1 ).
c. The title of the table should be written clearly, precisely and briefly at the same position.
d. A spacing of atleast 3 points should be taken for the first line of each cell.
e. Table size should not cross the limits of set page margins.
f. The font size should be less than or equal to the font size of main text.

8. Figures
a. The figures shown in the thesis should be clearly referred and explained and they should be numbered properly Chapter wise.
b. At the bottom of the figure, it should be identified as Fig. or Figure, followed by figure number.(ex. Fig. 2.3 or Figure 2.3).
c. The title of the figure should be written clearly, precisely and briefly at the same position.
d. All the graphs and flowcharts also should be identified and treated as figures only.
e. All the figures & graphs should be drawn clearly, so that variables, units, markings etc. of X and Y axes should be clearly visible.
f. All the drawings, text boxes, images etc. related to a particular figure should be grouped together.
g. The font size used should be less than or equal to the font size of main text.
h. The figure size should not exceed the set page margins.
9. Declaration
I declare that the work reported in the present work titled
No part of the thesis is copied from books / journals / internet and wherever the portion is taken, the same has been duly referred in the text. The reported works are based on the project work done entirely by me and not copied from any other source.
Signature of the Student
Certificate
This is to certify that the project work titled ​
Signature of the Supervisor

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Today is a special day! Exactly 5 years ago, on November 24[sup]th[/sup], the idea of CrazyEngineers was brewing in my mind. It was about 11.00 AM, I was sitting in...
I'm posting the story of CrazyEngineers exactly at the times it happened 5 years ago in history. It begins here: https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/announcements/38184-exactly-5-years-ago.html
hello , i am using php language. can anybody send me a code to send email when i redirect on a perricular page named like email.php.thanks Best regards irphan
If you are an Engineer, you should be able to solve it within 3 minutes or less (30 seconds); If you are a developer, never mind, maybe 1 hour; If...
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. Im currently studying Network Management & Security and need to undertake a project in relation to my course. I'm thinking more on the...