Guidance help with parts on digital lock project

Hello, I'm a senior in EE and it's time for the semester project, after our chairman shot down most everyone's project ideas multiple times, I believe I got an 'ok' on this one but would like some guidance on parts to use.

My idea is a digital lock like you would put on a house/company, etc door.
Features I would like to build in are 0-9 keypad, manual key override, and a wireless remote lock/unlock (like keymotes used on car doors).

I would like to use a microcontroller in this project because our professor is hinting it must have a uC and pcb design. Which I'm fine by but have experience only with PIC18F8680 only from a previous course.

I figure before I start staring at more simple schematics to implement this it would be nice if someone knew of a better microcontroller or model for this use? And my team is combating whether to use RF or IR for the wireless? Since it will be battery powered, I was thinking 9-12V range.

Any further ideas or advice will be appreciated, I came up with this project because I really want further experience with a microcontroller, and haven't used relays or done a wireless thing before. And this seemed to have a nice feel to it without torturing too much.

Thanks~

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    You can replace PIC controller with simple ATMEL or NXP(PHILIPS) 8051 or 8052.
  • jetdollete
    jetdollete
    Do some research about other digital locks. Study them on how they work. Go to this site to learn more about the details, #-Link-Snipped-#.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi. I am a student of 8th Sem Electrical and Electronics Engineering. I have had an opportunity to work with HIINDUSTAN AERONAUTICS LIMITED (HAL) for my project. Today we reported...
USB Safeguard 1.1 Size: 736KB USB Safeguard is software to encrypt and protect data with a password on your removable pen drives using the AES 256 bits encryption. Simply drag...
Can anyone tell me the Inversion Temperature of Hydrogen. I believer it is Low. The Inversion Temperature - Isn't that the temperature below which Expansion causes Cooling? Does this mean...
my computer autormatically restarts, is it a virus problem? if so, how to resolve that?
what will happen if exhaust gas from a main engine of....say a bike is passed onto another cylinder and fresh air is introduced into that cylinder...(the main engine and the...