GSM Based Fault Alert System for BTS(Base Transceiver Station ) Site

Project Abstract / Summary : ABSTRACT

In mobile communication the Base Transceiver Station (BTS) site and the tower maintenance play an important role. In the present day scenario some problems are being faced in its maintenance. The major problems faced include the fluctuation of temperatures, unauthenticated entry, fuel amount being unnoticed, the vendor and the technician’s time management in case of any of the above discussed problems. Many important devices/ chip components of a BTS demand for stable temperature and voltage without instantaneous breakdown and wide range of fluctuation. Early detection of overheating and proper handling of such situation in a BTS room is really essential to avoid deterioration and faulty components. To solve the power problem, now-a-days most of the BTS rooms are installed with a diesel generator and battery backup.

In this project, GSM based fault alert system for BTS we are providing solutions to rectify these problems. The method makes use of GSM modem which gives the instant message about the each activity happening in the site. The temperature sensors will sense the temperature of the room and if it rises above the threshold value, the GSM module will send the message to the master mobile which is already set in the system. A fuel level sensor is provided in the generator fuel tank. When the fuel level goes below the set value a message is sent to the technician requesting for refilling. This system also alerts in case of over current, over voltage occurrence.

The method can greatly improve the BTS site operating efficiency, reduces the delay and fuel consumption. The project has better performance and involves less hardware complexity. The project gives a single comprehensive solution that remotely controls and monitors the subsystems inside each base station site and enables network operators to coordinate and manage the conditions at all base station sites across their network. This system does not demand any changes in the existing infrastructure but just adds more features to it.

Why did you choose to work on this project topic : As more and more people around the globe are extensively using mobile handsets, the demand for reliable and high-capacity networks has never been so high as nowadays. Not only the increasing number of callings including the calling time but also the various possibilities of using your phone for apps, which demand mobile data connectivity are the real challenges for network provider. The key to success is to care about the central network elements, the Base Transceiver Stations (BTS). To maintain and to protect those is crucial in order to provide connectivity to customers as well as a certain level of quality even in the most remote areas of the world.

Project Category : Electrical / Electronics / Communication
------------------------------------------------------
Institute/College Name: Sanjivani Rural Education Society's College of Engineering, Kopargaon
City: Kopargaon
State: Maharashtra
Participating Team From: Final Year

Replies

• ocmanbo
    ocmanbo
    hello
    Am Emmanuel from Nigeria.currently working on my project on BTS faults and solutions to tackling the challenges. I saw this work its related to mine can you please help me out with your material. please
  • ocmanbo
    ocmanbo
    hello
    Am Emmanuel from Nigeria.currently working on my project on BTS faults and solutions to tackling the challenges. I saw this work its related to mine can you please help me out with your material. please
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Usually modern BTS equipment have in built environmental sensors and relays to detect additional parameters (such as battery level, door openings, etc). This would be more reliable because the data will go over the BTS's backhaul and straight to the existing BTS monitoring system, rather than using a 3rd party solution.

It's a good project to learn about sensors, but frankly its not an existing issue in the telco industry.

What would be more useful is to have a remote diagnostic tool to troubleshoot the BTS in case the backhaul goes down / remote access is not possible. Basically a robust out-of-band (OOB) tool for telco troubleshooting. This will save a lot on site visits resources and manpower.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Engineers, I am a final year mechanical engineering student. I'm using ansys-15 to analyse a non linear problem. During the solving process, I encountered an error as followed. "This...
Project Abstract / Summary : It is a Unix Task Manager functions just like Windows Task Manager. It shows background and foreground running processes details. I like Unix programming. It...
Hi, anyone here has any experience with DSLR video shooting? Need help with selecting the kind of mic I would employ for indoor or outdoor shoot. Budget for the microphone...
Project Abstract / Summary : My project is of diffusing a bomb using an electro magnetic pulse(EMP), this EMP is generated when a nuclear bomb or missile blasts off. The...
I don't know if this is the right place to post for any query but I need information regarding RAS ( Rajasthan Administrative Services).