GRE... When What How Why Where???

Hey friends. I am a last year Computer Engineering student and I am thinking of pursuing higher studies further. But have little knowledge about GRE. I went through few websites and got to know in GRE there are 3 sections:Verbal, Analytical and Quantitative. This comes under General Test. But what exactly is Subject Test and when and why is it given? Also, which all universities consider General test and Subject test, separately or together?? and is TOEFL compulsory?? Is it necessary to join institutes or any coaching classes for these exams. Please post the websites that i can refer to get complete detail and idea about these exams. Thank You.

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    Check out these two links, it may answer some of your queries :
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Graduate Record Examinations
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    But what exactly is Subject Test and when and why is it given?

- This is all you need to know:

The Subject Tests are achievement tests that measure your knowledge of a particular field of study.
    Show what you know about a specific subject and graduate schools will take notice. The Subject Tests can help you stand out from other applicants by emphasizing your knowledge and skill level in a specific area.
    Each Subject Test is intended for students who have an undergraduate major or extensive background in one of these eight disciplines:
    • Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology
    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Computer Science
      Note: The last administration of the GRE Computer Science Test will be in April 2013. The test will be discontinued after the April 2013 administration. Scores will continue to be reportable for five years.
    • Literature in English
    • Mathematics
    • Physics
    • Psychology

Also, which all universities consider General test and Subject test, separately or together?? and is TOEFL compulsory??

-
    For PhD admission in US Graduate School, GRE General Test will be mandatory. So, there is not question of GRE General or GRE Subject test. You have to take GRE General Exam conducted by ETS.

GRE Subject test is not required by most of the Graduate Schools in United States. If GRE Subject test is mandatory, it will be listed as one of Graduate admission requirement. You have to check this requirement at department website.

Is it necessary to join institutes or any coaching classes for these exams?

- This is a choice that you have to make on your own. Nobody else can help you decide if you need coaching or not. If you are confident about self-study, go ahead without a class.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Im trying to design a buck converter for speed control of DC shunt motor using PWM. My question is how to calculate the value of inductor and capacitor for...
Sony has announced that they're going to make a big announcement related to their PlayStation brand on February 20th. Sony has not made it clear that they're announcing the PlayStation...
I have tried coding in html using with thier required attributes but when i run that code on a browser it does not display my image.the same problem is...
Hey!! We are the founding batch of my college. I am doing my fourth semester. They are asking ideas for a workshop for electrical engineering students. Please suggest some ideas....
Dear freinds i download autocad 2009 from a website. it is in winrar format. then i extract it to a folder in my E drive. Here in folder in which...