CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Ankita Katdare • 02 Aug, 2011
The Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) test is to measures verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and critical thinking and analytical writing skills. Tests gauge undergraduate achievement in 8 specific fields of study to get admission in foreign Universities recommended by GRE board and the test is held internationally for the undergraduate students who want to study abroad for specific field of study.

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is to test English Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking to get admission in US, UK, Australia and some others Universities overseas. This test is also held internationally for the students who are desirous of study abroad.

Choosing between the two exams depends on where you want to study & what you want to study.
@silverscorpion • 02 Aug, 2011 I think a better comparison would be TOEFL or IELTS, as both are tests which test our English knowledge and nothing else. For some colleges, it's necessary to have both GRE and TOEFL scores when you are applying..
@raminjpr • 09 Aug, 2011 Yeah, As silver scorpion said, The best comparison would be TOEFL Vs IELTS, IELTS will test a person's English skills (speaking, reading, writing and listening) while the GRE exam test the person's Verbal ability and quantitative ability. It is obvious that GRE is tougher than the IELTS.
@greenprash • 16 Aug, 2011 Doesn't GRE have technical sections as well??? I thought both GRE & TOEFL are required for admission to US...
@Ankita Katdare • 16 Aug, 2011 @greenprash Your question in answered in the first post itself.
Yes, you need to take both GRE & TOEFL for admission.
@pvjk • 19 Jun, 2015 is ielts alone enough to get admission in UK,US and australian universities? @Ankita Katdare
@Ankita Katdare • 19 Jun, 2015 @pvjk It all depends on the university and course you want to apply to.
Many universities in UK let you take admission based on academic background and a valid IELTS score.

In US & Australia, it is generally a combination of GRE+IELTS or GRE+TOEFL.

IELTS or TOEFL are internationally recognized tests for English language certification.
For all non English speaking country's native residents, it is 90% of the times mandatory to have a valid IELTS or TOEFL score to prove your proficiency over English language (given that it is going to be your primary medium of communication once you join the university).

GRE as you might already know is conducted to test your overall aptitude. It consists of Aptitude (maths, analytics) questions + English language questions.

If you check out GRE Subject test, there your technical subjects are included as well.
@pvjk • 21 Jun, 2015 @Ankita Katdare Wikipedia says, "in present day college admission criteria, students from the commonwealth of nations are exempted from taking the TOEFL exam". So it means that Indian students need not take TOEFL exam. Is this true?
@MOHIT HOODA • 17 Jul, 2015 TOEFL and IELTS both are taken into consideration by many top universities such as MIT and STANFORD UNIVERSITY................admission can be granted on the basis of the scores of any of these exams by universities in USA
@Yatesh • 02 Jul, 2016 Is IELTS not only enough to get admission for masters in australia or canada??

Is GRE compulsory for masters?
@Avaneendra singh • 19 Aug, 2016 Are these exam necessary to take before getting a job overseas?
@Ankita Katdare • 13 Nov, 2017
Avaneendra singh
Are these exam necessary to take before getting a job overseas?
In most cases, you need to crack GRE. It's not a pre-requisite for a job (if you are hired by a company directly there). GRE is asked by many universities as a necessary condition with a minimum passing score. I believe it is only done to filter out the cream from the junk.

Yatesh
Is IELTS not only enough to get admission for masters in australia or canada??
Some European universities also seem to demand IELTS.

Can anyone here explain what is the current scenario for this?
@goutham orton • 31 Oct, 2018 • 1 like

@Ankita  as we know if u r writing GRE u have to attempt TOEFL for english testing,but in IELTS it seems to comcentrate only on english what about these aptitude?

23k views

Related Posts

@Kaustubh Katdare · Aug 14, 2012

Reliance Freedom 999 plan looks too good to be true. Reliance is offering 12 Mbps speed for up to 25 Gb of data and and post the data limit, the...
4.5k views

@Ambarish Ganesh · Sep 25, 2013

Though there's still time for Apple to finally launch its latest iPhone 5S in Indian market, fanboys can own it now for an asking price of Rs 65,000 to Rs...
3.7k views

@Nivedita Gautam · May 19, 2014

I m b.tech computer science student. I am about to complete my 3rd year. I am supposed to do 45 days summer internship. I want to do it in java...
3.6k views

@yadavundertaker mohit · Oct 5, 2009

hi.... to draw a pin bush flexible coupling the given data will be dia of shaft d to be joined in mm,power P to be transmitted in kw ,no. of...
5.7k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · May 2, 2015

The history, multi-million dollar boxing fight is about to begin in the next few moments. I'm creating a poll to see what people think who will win.
7k views