GPU Wars: AMD Discontinues The ATI Brand

The gamers and graphics freaks who were sick of NVIDIA had ATI to look for. However, the rumors that AMD discontinuing ATI brand have come true.

The Tech Report says -https://techreport.com/discussions.x/19547

As one might expect, a major motivator is the fact AMD plans to introduce a range of new products incorporating both AMD microprocessor technology and a Radeon graphics tech on the same chip. The first fruits of the CPU-GPU "Fusion" initiative are slated to arrive soon. "Ontario," which will combine two copies of the low-power "Bobcat" CPU core with Radeon graphics, is slated to ship before the end of the year. The more powerful "Llano" APU, which mates quad Phenom II-class CPU cores with presumably a more capable GPU, is scheduled for the first half of 2011. Obviously, the combination of the firm's CPU and GPU technologies into single-chip products could create some consumer confusion, if folks were to continue to think of AMD and ATI as separate entities—especially if the ensuing marketing messages emphasize the benefits of CPU-GPU integration.

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Oh, that's great!!..

So, after the merger, will the ATI discreet graphics cards be available in the name of AMD or will only the fusion chips be available?

Anyhow, it seems Nvidia is in a tough spot right now.. With Intel on one side and now AMD too, it's gonna be tough for Nvidia unless something drastic is done..
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Man, I'll sure miss the ATI brand name. The ATI vs Nvidia battle has been quite epic!

@ silverscorpion
    AMD plans to keep the Radeon label to identify the consumer discrete graphics market. Intel is still far behind in this market, though its just a matter of time before they introduce something significant. Nvidia should play their CUDA aces smartly or else they'll be crushed between two giants on the long run.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi, plz suggest me some mini project topic & idea for it
Why java follows Unicode? I searched through books but couldn't find a reason. Can someone explain the need of Unicode in Java. Please be elaborate in replies. Thank you.
I am using 3 Phase induction motor . When i open the terminal box terminals are identified like U1-U2,V1-V2,W1-W2. Due to short circuit i have to change the terminal box...
Following video will introduce you to Gmail's priority mailbox. It's being rolled out to standard Gmail and Google Apps over a course of week - [video=youtube;5nt3gE9dGHQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nt3gE9dGHQ[/video]
Please give details of the diferent jsp capable servers.