Gps Iii - What Advantages Does It Have?

GPS III seems to be the future of Global Positioning System. Lockheed Martin has won the contract to launch the GPS satellite in the space and the first prototype of the next system is expected to be ready by 2014. I found out from Wikipedia that the new GPS system will offer better signal strenghth -
  • M-code: –158 dBW / –138 dBW.
  • L1 and L2: –157 dBW for the C/A code signal and –160 dBW for the P(Y) code signal.
  • L5 will be –154 dBW.
Now I want to know is whether better signal strength is the only advantage that we'll get. Are there other improvements that we don't know? And most importantly, will the current GPS devices work with it?

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    As per my little knowledge with more power there will be improvement in finding exact location and for the second thing i think they are calculating latitude and longitude with some equations. So they must have to implement such protocol by which both older devices and newer both works well.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    godfather
    As per my little knowledge with more power there will be improvement in finding exact location and for the second thing i think they are calculating latitude and longitude with some equations. So they must have to implement such protocol by which both older devices and newer both works well.
    Thanks. But to the best of my knowledge, current GPS systems are capable of locating objects to the precision of 1 meter! That's more than enough for regular users. However, military might need even more sophisticated GPS to track the exact person in the other part of the world to kill him/her with a bullet mounted with GPS receiver. Stupid world!

Anyway, I can see that the GPS III system can find application in space research as well. Can anyone share the specifics of this system? It's bit difficult to dig out information from the Internet about it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Those who use their Facebook login credentials (that is, login via Facebook connect) might face problems; the most common being getting logged out out of CE. This is because of...
can i get new project topics on embedded systems?
hi all so what is the difference between static and dynamic balancing of rotating masses. And how what is the need for dynamic balancing?
A palm-sized laser-projected keyboard has been developed by a Korean Company! It is a small box that can fit into your hand yet provides a full-sized keyboard when needed! Switch...
The first biggest success of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) of European giants CERN comes; but the physicists will have to hold their breathe a little while longer! Two teams...