Government cab, rickshaw booking app vs. Ola and Uber

The Indian Government had declared that it's planning to launch a cab, rickshaw booking app on its own to threaten the monopoly enjoyed by Ola and Uber. Union Minister for Road, Transport and Highways, Mr. Gadkari said that the app will allow common people to enroll their vehicle into the service and start accepting ride requests.

With this move, the Government will be directly competing with Ola and Uber - the companies that have widespread network all over India in major cities and towns. The government is in discussion with all the stakeholders and will start the development of the app very soon. The plan is to offer cheaper and efficient services to the common people.

Do you think the Government can pull this off?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Government is a Juggernaut. Has resources that can be effective. It can also be a loose cannon that gets bogged down in beaurocratic quagmire.
    Ashoka Hotels, Air India, even the railways, and road transport corporations run(?) by various states are not very encouraging forerunners for this.
    Hope it works.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    I agree what Ramani Sir has mentioned in the above comment. Government initiatives are often marred with corruption and bureaucratic hurdles.

Here is my explanation why it will not work. The government is not going to provide incentives like Ola and Uber gives to their employees. Ride-sharing companies have managed to entice young people to quit their jobs to take up this trade. When incentives die down things get bad. In Bhubaneswar drivers from both Ola and Uber had went on an indefinite strike to demand incentives and companies had to give in to their demands.

Plus there is the question of unions. Here in Bhubaneswar we have Auto and Cab unions who even to till this date prevent Ola and Uber from plying in some regions. If I ask my Uber driver to pick me up from the railway station he asks me to walk from the station cross the road and walk to a back alley because he is afraid that the local auto association guys will damage his car and it has actually happened on several cases. These local apps will vehemently demand perks like their private counterparts.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Right said, #-Link-Snipped-# . It's not likely to work. First, the Government will have to put in a lot of efforts into establishing proper customer care and monitor the rides. This makes or breaks the companies and with 'Government job' mentality, it's going to inculcate the culture of strict discipline among the employees. Unfortunately in India, such jobs are often considered as 'laid back' ones.

Let's see how it works out. All it means that Ola and Uber won't be able to rise their prices at their will.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Betty Maria
    I think government should support and funding to Ola because its a pure Indian app.
    Not really. Ola Cabs aka ANI Technologies Pvt. Ltd. is a heavily funded companies with investors from multiple countries. It's a company with 'Indian' founders; but the company itself now belongs to the investors.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Google is always one step ahead when it comes to designing technology support for human help. Every day, the world deals with terrorism, accidents and unfortunate circumstances where people tend...
Meizu has recently unveiled its two new flagship devices dubbed Pro 7 and Pro 7 Plus in China. The USP of the handsets are the dual screens, a 1.9-inch secondary...
Quote: UBM Americas' 2017 Mind of The Engineer survey provides a look at how engineers feel about a variety of topics including job satisfaction, workplace concerns, and even which superhero...
Quote The oscilloscope is one of the most powerful electronic instruments that is available to electronics hobbyist, experimenters, and engineers. It is mainly used to measue time-varying signals. Any time...
, I am an intern at SKF technologies india(a bearing manufacturing company) and need help for the following project My questions are: 1.What are the software skills/hardware required for the...