Google's 3rd World Broadband Effort

Google has given its support to an ambition plan to bring high-speed Internet access to more than 3 billion people in the world who now lack broadband connections. Google joined cable magnate John Malone's Liberty Global and financial giant HSBC to launch 16 satellites that will cover parts of the world not likely to receive commercial coverage by more traditional technologies.

The network, named O3B for "other three billion," is placing an order for the 16 satellites with the French defense manufacturer Thales Alenia Space.

The satellite order is the first stage of a $750 million project to provide fast Internet connections to countries within 45 degrees north and south of the equator, according to O3b Networks Chief Executive Officer Greg Wyler. The satellite network could bring broadband costs down 95 percent in some parts of the developing world. Mobile and Internet service providers could use the satellite
network to offer high-speed access.

The partners, plus private equity firm Allen & Company have contributed $65 million toward the effort. HSBC's private equity arm is expected to help raise the rest of the funds needed. The network is expected to begin functioning in 2010.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    .. the effort is commendable.😀

just as as an addone - herss the homepage for technical details: #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

AT&T, USA's top phone company is planning to invest $1 billion in building four undersea cables to Japan and rest of Asia in order to expand its network services; senior...
We published following posts on VoiCE. Make sure you didn't miss out on anything - Talk More On Mobile. It Prevents Two Types Of Brain Tumor! - CrazyEngineers Today is...
i have come through civil engineering softwares setup,ebook and video tutorials and want to share with you ppl.hope you like thanks < Advertising Not allowed >
hello i am final year b.tech (electronics and communication engineering) student. i am interested in publishing article on electronics journals Can any one help me by providing the online websites...
Hi frenz I'm bit confused about the concepts of voltage n current source... Can u answer why voltage across current source & current from voltage source can not be measured??...