Google Translate enhances your vocabulary in foreign languages - Agree or not?

Learning foreign languages is often considered as a plus point in our life, especially when you're joining an international corporate where use of the native language of that country enhances productivity at times. Besides just learning a language, you can also learn to make effective conversation and solve day to day business deals via the use of these. Some cool features of Google Translate include an online listener which uses the right phonetics to pronounce and teach you to speak in whichever language you opt for.

1. I'm curious to know what CEans think about the Google Google Translate and how many of them use it on a daily basis or whenever required.

2. Would you consider only Google Translate to learn to communicate, or would you rather go to an expert and learn the language? Which do you think is more effective?

3. Do the extra languages taught in schools and colleges prove to be beneficial to you in future, or are they just a means for scoring easier marks compared to some tough regional languages?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Translate as a stand alone app is a failure in my opinion Cos It does not tell me how it the word is pronounced It just tells me the equivalent Word in other language

SInce I am not aware of the other language all I see is a bunch of pictures which mean What I have to say That is all I find from Google app. They way the word is pronounced in google app is also not the same way it is used in practical scenario

I am not sure whether my vocabulary develops or not by seeing a few pictorial form of other language and finding the exact pronunciation of a word
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Nice topic bro.

1)I don't use it often.I only use when I see a new words which were rarely used.
    2)I would consider hiring a teacher to learn a language than a google transalate.(google translate-is like a dictionary to me)
    3)I dont find extra languages to be useful in communication which were taught in schools.They were helpful only in filling resumes.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Conqueror
    Translate as a stand alone app is a failure in my opinion Cos It does not tell me how it the word is pronounced It just tells me the equivalent Word in other language

SInce I am not aware of the other language all I see is a bunch of pictures which mean What I have to say That is all I find from Google app. They way the word is pronounced in google app is also not the same way it is used in practical scenario

I am not sure whether my vocabulary develops or not by seeing a few pictorial form of other language and finding the exact pronunciation of a word

Have you tried the 'listen' button below the translation on the right side? Try it! It's awesome! And you get to listen to the right phonetics too!

[โ€‹IMG]
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    anoopthefriend
    Have you tried the 'listen' button below the translation on the right side? Try it! It's awesome! And you get to listen to the right phonetics too!

[โ€‹IMG]
    Bro I saw it as well They the words are pronounced are not the exact way in which I use them in day to day life

Come on If I speak a language right out of text book half the natives will find it difficult to understand and they will shun me as comedian Am I not right
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Conqueror
    Bro I saw it as well They the words are pronounced are not the exact way in which I use them in day to day life

Come on If I speak a language right out of text book half the natives will find it difficult to understand and they will shun me as comedian Am I not right

Don't type a sentence right away and click on 'listen'. Type one or two words. Learn to the words a little and try to speak; then group a few words together and then try to say it as a sentence. However, getting fluency is a bit difficult when it comes to foreign languages like French and Italian. If you've the interest then sure you can pick up. However, I've found it to be more effective than any teacher. I've learned French and Arabic in school but don't know how to converse. But i'm sure I can if I practice with Google Translate.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    anoopthefriend
    Don't type a sentence right away and click on 'listen'. Type one or two words. Learn to the words a little and try to speak; then group a few words together and then try to say it as a sentence. However, getting fluency is a bit difficult when it comes to foreign languages like French and Italian. If you've the interest then sure you can pick up. However, I've found it to be more effective than any teacher. I've learned French and Arabic in school but don't know how to converse. But i'm sure I can if I practice with Google Translate.
    But please tell whether your office routine allows you to spend time to learn word by word a new language

Your idea is good Your vocab will improve But I am not sure it is a quick solution to the scenario you are facing
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Conqueror
    But please tell whether your office routine allows you to spend time to learn word by word a new language

Your idea is good Your vocab will improve But I am not sure it is a quick solution to the scenario you are facing
    Yes! Definitely! In my industry i.e. VoIP, I've to do a lot of test calls to foreign countries in order to analyse possible issues in connectivity. I'd have gone dumb if I had not found Google Translate. I've had the opportunity to call most of the countries of the world and in some places they don't understand the English language at all! The countries I've made contact with include Guatemala, Spain, Italy, France, Russia, Libya, Egypt, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and the list goes on! The most difficult part was trying to speak in Russian. It's often a hilarious moment at the office for everyone else when I make a test call. Russian language is so difficult. It's like I had to chew 2 chewing gums to just read through the words on Google Translate. However what they reply back would sound like the person was speaking with 10 chewing gums in the mouth. We have to speak with the person to often know whether he/she can hear us or not; meanwhile running some tests to check the connectivity and errors if any!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I have to back out of this I guess I am not much aware of these stuff But learning how to speak a language from a book or a dictionary is not a valid solution But it is worth a try
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    Here are my answers:
    • Google Translate is a wonderful tool. I use it very often.

• I would prefer to learn a new language from as many sources as possible, but would primarily depend upon Google Translate as it gives me the liberty to learn and implement anywhere, anytime.

• I am a firm believer in the philosophy that no knowledge ever goes waste. At some stage or the other in life one will be glad to have learnt that stuff.

#-Link-Snipped-#: Great topic for discussion. Thanks for starting it.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I use it for following:

• Write in Hindi
    • Find English word for complex Hindi one
    • Once communicated to Local electrician in Telugu ๐Ÿ˜
    • To find meaning of internet articles in different languages and comments and comment back ๐Ÿ˜€
    Translate has been improved a lot, I am using it when there ware very few words but now auto-complete suggestion and lots of languages makes very easy and amazingly fast.
    Android app is not the excellent but best choice.๐Ÿ‘

lovebox
    I am a firm believer in the philosophy that no knowledge ever goes waste. At some stage or the other in life one will be glad to have learnt that stuff.
    +100. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Conqueror

I Agree with you, I had a similar experience when I was buying an ingredient in a shop in Delhi. I used translator to know it in Hindi, Unfortunately, both in Tamil and Hindi the words where same and have similar pronunciation. But the shopkeeper was unable to get me.

There is lot of difference in style of the language (For Example : Hindi ) spoken in Delhi and Mumbai .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Is there any process or idea of converting moving physical load to produce electric energy depending upon the load acting on the device that converts?๐Ÿ˜ For example; Lot of vehicles...
Can I get IS 14223 (all parts)?
The only vehicle that I have driven is an old Humber bicycle. So completely incompetent to comment on this: https://biggeekdad.com/2012/01/how-old-people-park-their-car/
It was in January that Facebook introduced its new advanced search feature called the Facebook Graph Search. Making the traditional search bar on all your Facebook pages look and act...
from past 2 weeks i was working on different wireless modules and comparisons with testing,i used low coast device like nrf24l01 to Xbee modules,i found the melange made tarang module...