Google Hangouts For iOS Receives Major Update; Disappoints Android Users

Google has released a major update for Hangouts on iOS. The Hangouts version 2.0 has got a full redesign matching the iOS 7's flat-UI style. The update was #-Link-Snipped-# by a Google engineer on the social platform Google+, which includes many features such as animated stickers, video messages among others. With a new interface, new menu and new typography, the update has been fully optimized for iOS 7 and the iPad. Google Hangouts is Google's messaging app and this is its first major update since October 2013.

iPhone_GroupHangout

On the iPad, the app supports a two-column layout which takes advantage of the tablet's large display. On one side you can chat with someone and on the other side you can scroll through your contacts or Hangouts. Google also includes support for sending animated stickers, a feature which is already included in most of the messaging services. The new sticker function that works just like emoticons, except that a personalized message can be added to the animated pictures to further express yourselves. The new version also now allows users to record and send video messages but it has a maximum limit of 10 seconds for each message. Ability to share your current location is also another new feature. Google Hangout is really pushing VoIP calls in this version, competing against services like Skype or Viber.

iPad_GroupHangout

Most of the updates have already been included in almost all the mobile messaging apps. But comparing it with other messenger apps, as Google Hangouts is a cross-platform messaging service, it does give it an edge over other mobile apps. The update unfortunately does not include voice messaging. Also, Google seems to have neglected Android, the operating system which Google owns.

From the reviews on the App Store, it is evident that iOS users are happy with this update but some have expressed their reaction by saying "Could have been better". The app works on iOS 6.1+ across iPhone 4+, iPad 2+, iPad Mini and iPod Touch 4th generation. You can download the free app from #-Link-Snipped-#.

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I had used hangouts in android but many are hesistating to use it .How can i use it while all of my friends are lured towards whatsapp and wechat.
    Hangout is quite good and very cool interface.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    My biggest grudge with hangouts is the inability to use invisible mode. Why should I be forced to always appear online is beyond me?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The time has come to say goodbye to touch screens and sensing technologies. Yes, controlling smartphones via gestures can soon become a reality and we can do away with sensing...
Regional smartphone manufacturer WickedLeak has put up its new smartphone, the Wammy Passion X for sale on its official online store for Rs. 19,990. The Wammy Passion X tries to...
I know I know, RPi went on sale on 29th of Feb 2012. But since 2014 ain't leap year, we will celebrate it today! Happy birthday Raspberry Pi! All thanks...
Yes U get It Correct . First of its Prototype Single Wheel Self Balancing Electric motorcycle is the next great invention in Moto World that Can be used / parked...
Google Inc. is improving their prime service “Google Search” day by day. Recently, Google shared publicly that they are providing ‘Restaurant Menu’ through their Google search service. Google engineers have...